Saturday, December 12, 2009

Hunter

A very close friend of my sister, has a 14 year old granddaughter who was born with her heart backwards, upside down, wired incorrectly, hooked to things it isn't supposed to be hooked to, just a medical marvel. Not sure they thought she could survive for 14 years, but she has. She is such a rare case, but the doctors keep finding ways to mend or support her heart. She has had multiple surgeries, a pacemaker, a fake valve, all things that have helped her lead a relatively normal 14 years. She is loved so profoundly by her family and oh, her grandma just crazy loves that girl. Well, this week she was back in the hospital. Tests were showing that her heart was not functioning optimally and they thought she might have a blockage. She did. They did surgery recently and were able to improve her blockage from a 10 to a 5. It wasn't a perfect surgery, but the family was so thankful for the improvement. This morning at 5:45 a.m., Hunter had a stroke. She is unable to move anything on the right side of her body.

I sit here in my office, a long 1,000 miles away from this hospital, and I pray hard for this young girl I have never met. I pray for her family. I pray for the doctors. Just over and over, "Please, please, please." More like begging than praying, but coming from deep in my heart. So many challenges, with no choice but to face them head on. I hope in some small way it gives them a tiny bit of peace to know that so many prayers are being said for Hunter. I don't think it changes God's plan for Hunter to know that so many of us mere mortals want her to get up and walk out of that hospital, but I think it does let him know how special she is to so many.

If you read this note, and even though you may not know Hunter, whisper her name in prayer please. Imagine if it was your own child, or niece, nephew, brother or sister, in that hospital bed fighting this really hard fight. Prayer is really all you can offer, but it is free, it is powerful and it works!

I have so much on my holiday "to do" list today, but this email from my sister this morning has slowed my brain down to a screeching halt. Puts a microscopic focus on the things in life that are most important. I have tons of things to get done, but maybe I will wait a while, grab another cup of coffee and go snuggle on the couch with my boys.

1 comment:

  1. All that I can say is 'thank you.' I have forwarded a copy of your message on to Jane. I don't think that the family realizes how many people are praying for them. I do know that they appreciate every single prayer!

    ReplyDelete