Friday, January 22, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I'm HOME! Travel day was very hectic, bad weather, delays, missed flights, turbulence...so thankful for my little white pill or I seriously might have come unglued! I woke up in the wee hours of Thursday morning to some torrential rain in Alabama. Stomach immediately cramped in knots when the realization hit me that I would potentially be flying out in bad weather. I managed to fall back into a fitful slumber for a few hours. I was roused from my sleep by my cell phone ringing at 5:40 a.m. It was hubby – he was really not feeling well and wanted to know where he could find the number for the doctor’s office so he could make an appointment. Oh no. Rain still falling. Time to get up and head to the airport. Dang.

Got to the airport in plenty of time for my flight. Wander down to my gate and look out the window. Oh crap – it is a little plane. That is not good. Seriously, raining and a small plane. Dig out my pill and swallow in hopes my heart will slow and I won’t run from the terminal. We are delayed boarding the plane by about 15 minutes because of bad weather in Atlanta. I am good with that. Finally, they let us board and I settle into my seat in the way back of the plane. We push back from the gate and the pilot comes on and says, folks we are on hold for about 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes pass and he comes back on – in the polar opposite voice of the happy pilot I had on Monday – and gives us the bad news. Folks we are currently grounded. Next report will be in 45 minutes. Sorry for the delay. Crap. I start doing the math in my head and it is obvious I am going to miss my connection in Atlanta. I hold out hope that maybe all the planes are delayed there too. Read all of my magazines and resort to listening to my ipod and wondering if it is okay to go to the bathroom while the plane is on the ground. What happens when you flush an airplane toilet exactly??

About 50 minutes or so later, he says, we are cleared for departure and we will try to make up some time in the air. What??? What did he say??? Make up time in the air! That can only mean he is going to try to go faster than normal. NO THANK YOU!!! He is on my nerves in the worst way. It is totally turbulent and if I had a book I am certain I would not have been able to focus on the page with all the rocking and rolling, bucking and jostling we were doing. I want off please. I said please. Against all odds, I was able to hold the plane up and we landed safely in Atlanta. I think I said “damn” about four times under my breath during flight. Actually, I don't "think" I am pretty sure I did.

I arrive in Atlanta and my flight to Austin already departed. Crap, crap, crap! I check in at the desk and they have me rebooked on a flight departing in about three hours. I call Hubby to give him the news. He has been to the doctor and is on his way for a chest xray. Either bronchitis or walking pneumonia is the guess. Dang, poor guy - wish I was home. I grab some lunch, wander around the airport.

Finally, we board and I take the very last row seat again. The sun is shining, but it is still a rocky, rocky, ride. Was absolutely thrilled when the wheels touched down in Texas. Thank you LORD!!!

So happy to see my boys and sleep in my own bed! Hubby does not have pneumonia so that is great! Kids were alive and well! House took a beating while I was gone, but I can whip it back into shape in an hour or two. Best news is that it is FRIDAY!!!! We made it to another Friday! I have tons of work to do today and even more laundry, but I am home and that is good.

3 comments:

  1. SSSSOOOOO glad that you made it home safely. You were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday. So, does Brian have bronchitis or just a bad cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to brag, but I told you you would make it just fine. I'm sure your family is glad to have you back home, especially Brian, in case he needs some TLC. Hope he gets to feeling better.
    Do you have any of those little pills left over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you mean the house took a beating?

    ReplyDelete