Monday, January 25, 2010

Diary of an Early Morning Walker

I did it! Got up this morning to exercise! Made plans to meet my friend at 5:30 a.m. to walk for an hour. Take a peek inside my head:

5:00 - Alarm goes off. Try to focus on the number and remember why in the world I set the alarm for so early. Realization hits. Groan. Why, why, why did I agree to this. I want to stay in bed.

5:02 - Feet hit the floor. Feel old. Why do I hurt so much? Oh yeah, played stupid tennis with the boys yesterday. Seriously, that little bit of exercise has me this sore. Oh, God don't look in the mirror. Ugh. What is up with all those wrinkles and all those chins. I need plastic surgery desperately.

5:05 - Teeth brushed, eyes open a little bit more. Where are my clothes? Did I not lay out any socks? Crap. Sorry hubby for all the dresser drawers opening and closing.

5:10 - Nuked a cup of coffee left over from yesterday. Seems kinda gross, but I am desperate and it is not that bad. Alright, lets get these clothes on.

5:15 - Astro sees the shoes and starts breathing heavy. I will not pick up the leash until the very last moment so he doesn't tear down the front door trying to get going. Feeling a little bit more lively. This feels familiar.

5:20 - Coffee gone. Shoes on. More heavy breathing from my walking partner. I wish I could go from zero to ninety miles an hour as fast as he does. It has only been twenty minutes but I am actually ready and looking forward to this. I am up and I am going to walk for exercise! Proud of myself for making it this far.

5:28 - Grab my coat. Pick up the leash. Heading out the door. Let's do this.

5:29 - Dang it is dark, seriously dark. It is a little cold too. Doesn't seem like such a great idea at this point. One foot in front of the other.

6:30 - I did it, I did it, I did it! Walked for a solid hour - feel so good! More mentally than anything else. My left arm is slightly longer than my right arm after Astro tugged on me so much, but all in all feeling super good. What a great way to start the day!

We are going to try to meet every morning and get into a good routine! I am sure tomorrow at 5:00 I will be hating it, but I just have to make it to 5:15 and then I know I can turn the corner! Will need to get to bed a little earlier than usual, but should be a problem I will be pooped!

Hope your day is fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I understand why you walk outside, in the dark and cold, when you have the best walking machine money can buy located in your office. It comes complete with a mini fan for cooling,speed and incline control and a flat screen TV to keep your mind off the pain as you walk. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete