Saturday, February 6, 2010

Weekend Projects

What a great Saturday this has turned out to be! Lots accomplished and it feels awesome. It started out with a 6:30 a.m. walk with my boy Astro. We walked for an hour and it felt great to get some exercise in the books before anyone else even woke up.



Next, I got everyone up and at'em for a 9:00 Upward Basketball game. Chip played like a maniac, scored five baskets for a season high 10 points. He had a sweet, sweet pass under the basket to his team mate and the place went crazy! It is so exciting to see him really starting to understand the game. They don't keep score, but it was a very even game and both teams did really well. Fun to watch.

After the game, Hubby and Harold went out to watch baseball tryouts and me and Chip went home. At home we wasted no time and got right to work on Chip's Valentine's Box. I took a few pictures of our work in progress and will share the finished product with you in another post! Then I got busy on the big project I wanted to complete this weekend. Cleaning the outside windows.

Last week we had a contractor working on the house to fix up the hail damage we had last spring. The roof was replaced and the leaky area around the chimney repaired. They also repainted the living room where we had a few leaks around the chimney. We had the gutters replaced and leaf guards installed on the new ones. Hubby is so excited that he won't have to borrow the neighbors ladder to clean the gutters out of the enormous amounts of leaves we accumulate a couple times a year. Whoever thought of leaf guards - GENIUS!

In addition, we had some tears in the screens on the outside of the house from the hail. We are having all of those replaced. When they took the screens off it was absolutely disgusting what was behind them. Kind of like when you finally pull out the washer and dryer and clean behind it. YIKES!


I got out my handy dandy cooler bucket (why we don't have a household bucket is beyond me!) and filled it with hot soapy water.

Then I went outside and surveyed the grossness. This window on the side of the house was especially gross. Years and years of accumulated yuckiness.

A little soap, water and elbow grease and it was just about good as new!



This window on the back of the house was probably the worst. Are you supposed to take off your screens every few years and clean behind them? Is that part of a home maintenance list that we just didn't get the memo about? Sometimes I feel like there is a master list somewhere that we should be following and we just rock along until something breaks or it becomes painfully obvious we need to do something about it.

Thankfully, it came out pretty good with a good scrubbing and a rinse with the hose.
While I was in the backyard cleaning the windows I realized how out of control this flower bed had gotten. Weeds everywhere! I didn't get out in the garden much last summer and it showed. Yowser. I spent the next hour trimming, pulling, weeding anything that didn't belong.

That was pretty much everything that was back there and now I have a nice blank slate to plant something. I have got to get a plan for this area before all those crazy weeds take over again.

Next up, I couldn't even walk through the garage to put my tools away. Remember the blog where I told you we took a lot of flak for taking before and after pictures of the garage clean up? Well tough - here it is again! Crazy disaster area before!

Clean floor and no obstacles to climb over to get to the door. It is such a good feeling to have gotten the windows cleaned and the other extra projects done for extra measure! Still have to work on Chip's Valentine's Box, but we are almost done!


Off to see the Texas Stars Hockey game tonight. I hope someone in my family wakes me up if I fall asleep during the game!


Here's to productive weekends and marking things off your to-do list! It is just the best!











1 comment:

  1. And who do we get to thank for our to-do lists? Bob? LORD have mercy my list just keeps getting longer - may need to take a couple of days off of work just to knock a couple of the tasks off.

    Your finished projects look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete