Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Piercings

Over the last couple of days I have had the opportunity to run into two complete strangers in two different cities in two different situations. The only thing unique about these two strangers was their excessive body piercing. What is up with that? (Picture me with a very pained look on my face.)

Now I am not a prude at all. I don't mind multiple earrings, a nose piercing or lip piercing. To each their own. If I had a stomach I was proud of I might personally be tempted to add a little belly button bling to my stash. Unfortunately, that is not the case so I will have to stick with my standard issue single ear piercing.

Okay, so back to the two strangers I met. One was this super nice waiter we met at the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston. He wasn't our waiter, but just stopped by to comment on the boys Boston Celtics gear and struck up a conversation. Sweet guy. He had recently gone to Rhode Island for the first time with his wife for a family funeral and we compared notes on what we had done and eaten in Rhode Island. FYI...we both raved about the dough boys. YUM! But when I tell you that this guy had piercings, I mean he had piercings. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many, but if I had to guess I would say more than 20 above his neck. He had multiple earrings, nose studs, eyebrows, chin, lip - there were bars and some chains connecting some to others. I mean they were all over - except I don't think he had any in his tongue. I know this because I was actually able to follow the conversation and remember something this nice fellow said.

Fast forward to the next day when my sweet little cashier at HEB had both nostrils, her lip and tongue pierced. The tongue piercing just does me in. It takes me way out of my comfort zone to find myself so transfixed on their stupid tongue that I don't even know what words are coming out of their mouth. The tongue itself is kind of gross and to have your eyes betray you by constantly wandering down to stare at someones tongue is disturbing. That cashier could have been telling me I was the 1,000,000th customer in store history and that my groceries were completely free for an entire year and I would have scanned my card, puzzled look on my face, eyes locked on her tongue, thinking to myself "Is there a back on that stud? Is it scrapping the bottom of their mouth? Doesn't it just poke your mouth all day long? Do you eat with that in? Do you take it out at night? Does it ever come undone and accidentally get swallowed? How can you swab it with alcohol to keep it clean if it is in your mouth?"

I am sure that lots of people think tongue piercings are totally cool and super awesome. I just don't happen to be one of those people. They completely distract me from the person behind the piercing.

My two loyal readers (Hey Mom and Dad!) won't be able to answer this, but if you have somehow stumbled on this blog and have a tongue piercing maybe you can answer some of the questions that run through my mind. Perhaps if I have the answers I can quiet my curiosity and try to actually hear what the person is saying! It would make me a better person. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment