Wednesday, May 26, 2010

First Swim of the Year

I took the boys to the pool after school yesterday and I got in for the first time of the summer! They have been in several times already, but I have just been a lifeguard. It took me a few minutes to talk myself into it. It was scorching hot outside and I thought I was good and ready. That is, until I touched the actual water and it was so cold. I waffled back and forth, but in the end decided to man up and get in.

It helped that Chip was beside me the whole time with this dialog running:

Are you getting in Mom? It's not that bad once you get in. Do you want me to splash you? Do you want me to go under? How long is this going to take? Why are you getting in so slow? Just jump in. Watch me. I will jump in and show you. Do you want me to do a cannonball right by you? Want to see me do a hand stand. Here, catch this ball. Why didn't you catch the ball. Watch how far I can swim under water. Count how long it takes me.

Very relaxing to be peppered non stop with questions while you are trying to get your privates acclimated to the chilly water. I would have clamped his mouth shut if he would have swum a little closer to me!

He was right, though. Once I got in and moved around a bit it felt down right yummy! We stayed for about an hour and I got a little pink on my back. I know sunscreen is where it is at...but I just love the feeling of getting a little sun. It will be SPF 50 from here on out!

So after our swim, we came home to get ready for Chip's baseball team party. Bathing suits, goggles and towels are everywhere. I need to come up with a better system this summer for drying out suits and towels. I think I might get one of those drying racks to set up in the garage. It will be so much better than having wet suits hanging on bike racks and off of golf clubs!

I am so happy that we have only two days left of school - BRING ON SUMMER!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment