Tuesday, June 29, 2010

50 Things To Do Before I Am 50

This was way harder than I thought it would be. I mentioned in an earlier blog that I pounded out the top eleven things and then hit a wall. I had to do some real digging to figure out what I REALLY would like to do in my immediate future. I really only have six years before I am 50, so this list seems really ambitious to me! I just keep going back to the fact that the joy will be in pursuing these adventures and goals. If I only manage to do ten of the fifty, then maybe that is ten more than I would have done had I not written them down. There is no way to lose with this. Unless, of course I get mowed down by a train today and don't get to mark any of them off the list. That would be totally sad.

As I worked through the list, I realized how impossible all of the travel goals will be. I would have to leave now and stay on vacation until I turned 50 to get all of these accomplished. But, I will mark as many of them off the list as I can. Those that don't get accomplished before I am 50 I will move to a 60 Things To Do Before I Am 60 List. If any of these adventures or goals are on your life list, then let me know. We can do them together!

If this inspires you to write a list of your own I would love to see it. I am sure there are many things that I couldn't think of that I would like to add to my list! It will be a living document, being added to as new ideas come to me!

1. Get Baptized
2. Volunteer to feed the homeless
3. See the Giant Redwoods (August 2013)
4. Visit Colorado in the winter
5. Slow dance in a piano bar
6. Go to Alaska (July 18, 2011)
7. Write a letter to my children to read when I die
8. Ride a horse on the beach
9. See Mt. Rushmore
10. Take a vacation in an RV
11. See a whale in the ocean (July 17, 2011)
12. Drive through Maine in the fall (or summer!  July 2015)
13. Have a room in my home professionally decorated.
14. Make an apple pie, with a lattice top, completely from scratch. (Completed 7/5/10) 
15. Visit all 50 U.S. States (Remaining: Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin)
16. Work on a Habitat for Humanity house
17. Take my boys to Atlantis
18. Take a two week vacation in a little house on the beach.
19. Read Gone With the Wind. (Completed 8/17/10)
20. Complete a Bible Study. (Completed 12/6/10)

21. Run another 1/2 marathon (and enjoy it!) (Completed 2/21/16)
22. Anonymously pay for the meal of a young service man in a restaurant. (Completed 12/4/10) 
23. Journal for a solid year. (Completed)
24. Visit a winery and learn something about the beverage I enjoy so much
25. Make a t-shirt quilt for my children
26. Make homemade ice cream with an old crank machine. (Completed 9/4/10)
27. Take an art class (painting, ceramics, glass blowing, needle point) (Completed 2/3/11) 
28. Go berry picking and make a cobbler
29. Visit one of those tropical hotels where the rooms are huts over the water with glass floors.
30. Try a spin class. (Completed 4/14/12)
31. See a Broadway production in New York City. (Completed 4/19/14)
32. Grow my fingernails long enough to get a manicure. (Completed 9/12/10) 
33. Take a cruise (July 16, 2011)
34. Do Yoga (June 2012)
35. Tailgate at an Alabama football game with my boys
36. Take a dance class (Jazzercise - March 2014)
37. Implement a No TV Game Night every Tuesday night for a year.
38. Write a family update every three or four months to send to our elderly family friends that do not have computers.
39. Provide Christmas for a family in need (Completed 12/12/11)
40. Make a beautiful birthday cake.
41. Volunteer to spend time with someone in a nursing home. (Completed 3/30/11)
42. Learn to play tennis
43. Get caught up on my filing. (Completed 1/21/11) 
44. Get a legal Last Will and Testament in place. (Completed 9/24/15)
45. Swim in the world's largest swimming pool (San Alfonso del Mar. Algarrobo, Chile)
46. Talk less and listen more.
47. Take a nap in hammock by the sea.
48. Drive the entire Pacific Coast Highway.
49. Visit an Art Museum (Completed 6/25/11)
50. Print this list out and hang it where I can see it daily! (Completed 6/29/10)

1 comment:

  1. In regards to #17 are you talking about Atlantis in the Bahamas? If so you need to come see me and take a 3-night cruise out of Port Canaveral (that will knock #33 off too). I can help you arrange that and the cruise is not very expensive.
    Another wonderful thing to do is Meals on Wheels. I've done it a few times and need to sign up for it regularly.
    In regards to #44 there's software you can buy that makes doing your will very easy. After you complete it just take it to a notary.
    Your #1 & #2 are the same as mine. =)

    ReplyDelete