Friday, June 25, 2010

Sucking it Up and Sniffing it In


This morning I totally did not want to exercise. Period. The End. Roll over and go back to bed.

But I didn't.

Unfortunately, I stayed up way past my bedtime, reading The Time Traveler's Wife. Loved it. Cried like a baby. Could not put it down until I finished it, which was like almost 1:00 this morning. I could have gotten finished sooner, but I spent half an hour looking for the damn cat who I could hear meowing, but couldn't find. After extensive searching, I found her locked in the upstairs linen closet. Stupid cat.

Anyway, back to my grumpy, grouchy attitude this morning. I got up at six, barely had enough coffee to make a pot, totally did not want to put on a bathing suit and go swim. I was moaning and groaning in the kitchen and Hubby says "Why don't you go for a run instead?"

Apparently, he has never met me, has no idea of my limitations, desires, capabilities or pursuits. Go for a run. Yeah right. I will suck it up and put on my swim suit.

Am I ever so glad that I did. This morning I did 1/2 a mile without stopping. That is 32 lengths or 16 laps however you want to look at it. It was good. Felt surprisingly better and better as the laps clicked by. So, sucking it up worked this morning and I will try to reach back and remember how good it felt when I am dragging on another day. If anyone cares, this is Day 6 of consecutive exercise - which will be followed by 5 miles on Day 7 and 4 miles on Day 8. Happy to get my streak going again.


On my walk back to the house I found this right outside my front door. A gardenia. A sweet smelling, memory evoking gardenia. I came to love the gardenia when I first met one in my Grandma's back yard. She had several big gardenia bushes and when we would visit in the summer we loved to pick them and smell them. She also had these tiny pink roses on a bush that I loved. I also loved the big container of compost and fishing worms in the back yard, just so you know. I haven't had much success growing gardenia's myself, but every time I get a bloom it brings back such fond, fond memories. I hate to pick them, but I do. I almost am afraid I will suck one up a nostril I breathe in the aroma so deeply. My Grandma rocked. She was a funny, energetic, loving woman who would have delighted so much in watching us in our lives. She died too soon. She left an impression while she was here though. One that fills me with love every time I smell a gardenia.

Today is going to be a good, good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment