Saturday, July 3, 2010

Run? We are supposed to be walking!!!

This morning, none of my girls were walking so Hubby said he would go with me for my 3 Day training walk. UPDATE TO YESTERDAY: We also went for a quick 2 1/2 mile walk on Friday night, so my exercise streak is alive and well! So, we head out on our walk and Hubby is synchronizing his watch and GPS, telling me our average pace and when we will complete our planned mileage. Unexpectedly, a little white car pulled us over and asked for some directions. The lady was really sweet and we had her on pointed in the right direction in just a few minutes. As she is pulling off, Hubby says "Dang, she messed up our average." I laughingly said "We could always run to regain our lost time."

Keep in mind, I don't give a crap what our average pace, mph, stride length...I mean it is not humanly possible for me to care any less than I do.

He says "Let's do it."

Oh no.

I haven't run in so long. It has been years. Mentally, I just have a thing about running. That thing I have is not good. I can walk all day long, but the minute I start running I start breathing weird, everything hurts, head wants to blow up. It is so stupid.

Hubby says, "This is a downhill, let's just run a 10th of a mile." We did. I didn't die. He picked some other nice downhills for us to run and we did five or so intervals. I didn't die. I thought I might on the last one, but I didn't. We made up our time and came in at some average that wasn't terrible and was a big improvement over my previous times. I kept waiting for him to get exasperated with me and say "Good Lord girl, just run. Quit panting, breathing weird, stopping, etc." He didn't. It took all the will power he had I think. After we got home, he turned right around and did another run and did double the distance in the same time. Butt head.

And for those of you who don't run and are reading this thinking that running a 10th of a mile is no big deal....I double dog dare you to get out and give it a try. It is not easy.

I can't even imagine being able to run a mile without stopping, but I think I am going to try. Then I am going to try for two. You know, in all the months that I trained for a half marathon in 2005 I can only recall getting the "runner's high" ONE TIME! Beth and I got it on the same day and we could have run forever. That isn't very much hope to hold out for. It would be a lot better incentive to get it at least every other time you run or something. Oh well, even without the runner's high after just a couple hours today I felt pretty good.

Here's to the small glimmer of hope that I am not ultra sore in the morning so I can get out there and try again!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, try again!!! Run girl run! You can do it (said the half marathon addict)! I'm off for a 90 minute run now, but I'm totally MENTAL!

    ReplyDelete