Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's My Birthday

Don't you remember as a kid how excited you would be when it was your birthday. Counted down the days, got excited about the presents. I miss those days.

These days, birthdays have lost their glow. I know the alternative to not having a birthday means you are six foot under, so I get that it is better to have them than not have them. But dang, can't they just go quietly, no fanfare, no big plans. Just get out of here already. I know I am 44, no need to keep talking about it.

I do however get a huge kick out of my kids reaction on my birthday.

Kids: Mom, Happy Birthday! What are we going to do today?
Me: I have to work but we will be going out for dinner so I don't have to cook.
Kids: Oh. Don't you want to go swimming, putt-putt or to the movies. We can do anything you want to do. It is your special day. You pick.
Me: Nah.
Kids: Mom, seriously. You can do anything, its your birthday.
Me: Can I pile up on the couch and read a book all day?
Kids: No, that's not fun.

So, I will squeeze in some kid approved fun today and maybe go swimming at lunch time! Woo Hoo. Already did a 16.5 mile bike ride this morning with my little peloton of girlfriends. I didn't wreck and made it all the way without having to push my bike up any hills.

I was looking back through some of my old emails and found one that I had sent to my parents on my 34th birthday. It went something like this:

Where has the time gone? Wasn't it just yesterday that...

I was waiting patiently on the curb for you to bring home my new baby brother?
I was a Brownie or was it a Girl Scout?
Me and Ange shared a bedroom in our tiny little house on Nike Street?
Mom made me that blue angel costume with wings made out of hangers and Christmas garland?
You had to pick me up to put me over the fence to play with Daisy?
I cut my toe jumping in a mud puddle while playing in the rain? Or was that Ange?
We built forts out of pine needles.
I jabbed that nasty nail into my leg and got stitches?
We drove cross country to spend a glorious week at the beach house?
I celebrated my birthday with a pink ballerina cake at Grandma and Grandpa's house?
We went walking in the snow at night in Heilbronn.
I roller skated all the live long day on the blacktop at Fort Story?
I ran home from the beach and away from those attack flies?
I had to be home when the street lights came on?
I begged and begged for a dog? Remembering my sweet Brandy - I loved that dog.
I was borderline obsessed with horses?
I was a softball all-star bringing home the championship?
We spent our weekends walking among castles in Germany?
I cried my eyes out leaving Rhonda?
I learned to drive in the old Ford LTD?
We made so many awesome memories at the Sea Dome Inn?
We tried making jelly out of those grapes we grew on Town and Country?

It seems like just yesterday that I started the chapters of my life that include getting married and having kids. Those chapters are priceless and have given me such joy and adventures I couldn't have ever dreamed were possible.

What I am thinking about today though is that the memories I have from my childhood are the kinds of memories my boys are making right now. I hope they can look back as fondly on their childhood as I do on mine.

So much to be thankful for on my birthday and most especially for my parents. I know that when my children celebrate their birthdays I always step back for a minute and realize that I am the lucky one. To be blessed with a child means you get to do childhood all over. Seeing the world through your child's eyes is fun. I hope they have gotten as much joy from seeing me live my life as I have gotten from watching my boys live their lives.

Happy Birthday to Me!

2 comments:

  1. You need to do at least one silly childish thing today...even if it's lay on the floor and let the kids tickle you until you pee your pants. =)

    ReplyDelete