Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Little Jumpy

Started off my relaxing Sunday with a 5:15 a.m. wake up call! Rise and shine! Wait, the sun is not out at 5:15 a.m.

Doesn't matter, you don't need the sun to be up to walk.

Strapped on my walking shoes and met my friend Karen at 6:00 in the morning and we walked eight miles. That's right - eight miles. That is FAR!

We have this mountain lion that has been spotted in our neighborhood. A real one. Not a bobcat - a mountain lion. We don't live in the mountains and I really need for Mr. Lion to move on and find an actual mountain, far, far away from here to call your home. Pet cats are being eaten (or half eaten as the case may be) parts of deer are being left on people's driveways. It is gross and it is scary.

I am a little jumpy out walking in the hood. I have all the mountain lion defense mechanisms memorized - ACT BIG! Not sure what that means, but I just know I am not supposed to run, I am supposed to ACT BIG! I type that big because I am thinking big.



So the mountain lion is on my mind these days. Especially during their prime hunting time which is dusk and dawn. I practically scared Karen to death this morning when I screamed and jumped at a leaf. Sounds harmless, right? Well it wasn't! It blew right on to the sidewalk and made a menacing noise. I jumped and squeaked. She laughed.

I also had a ginormous winged beast fly right into my face. It was still dark and this huge flying insect or bug thing flew directly into my face! I jumped, screamed, and maybe smacked myself in the face a couple of times. Karen is not nearly as amused and I thought she might hit me herself.

There was also a stick that may or may not have looked like a snake to me. It was still kinda dark.

So anyway, I was a distracted hot mess today. All kinds of critters and nature things were playing on my heighten sense of my surroundings. I need help!

Regardless of my distractions, we made it 8 miles in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was hard, hot and awesome!

This weekend I am scheduled to walk 10 miles on Saturday and only a mere 6 miles on Sunday!

Piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment