Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What the Heck is for Dinner????

Tell me I am not the only one who dreads this 5:00 hour when you know in just a short while you have to put something delicious and nutritious on the table!

I mean one of the hardest parts of every evening around here is figuring out what the heck to put on the table for dinner. My family should be easy, since there are so many things they won't eat, and a very short list of what they love to eat. You would think I could keep a good rotation going with some kind of meat, pasta or rice, and a vegetable. And, I have. For the most part they really like what they really like. I am just so sick of cooking the same things over and over.

Here is the drawback with cooking something new though...it is painful. It throws my boys into some kind of funk, like they are on Survivor and I am asking them to eat a bucket of live cockroaches.

Children: What is this? It smells like cockroaches.
Me: It's not cockroaches Honey, it is a meatloaf. Not sure what cockroaches smell like, but seriously you are in the clear.
Children: I hate meatloaf.
Me: Oh, I didn't realize you hated meatloaf because I am pretty sure it has never crossed your lips, traveled over your taste buds, down your throat and into your sweet little stomach. Maybe you could just try it. It is alot like hamburger, which you seem to love.
Children: How much do we have to eat?

They proceed to bury it in the carb of choice, be it some kind of pasta or rice, and choke it down. Looking at me with pleading eyes saying "Why are you trying to kill me with this thing you call a Meatloaf." Thirty minutes after dinner they are in the pantry or the fridge looking for something better to eat.

I get it, because sometimes I cook something and I don't want to eat it. I'd rather have a bowl of cereal than eat that crazy SPAM fried rice they love. I have eaten it plenty, but I am just over it with a capital OVER IT!!!

So let's get some comments going again! Who plans all their meals for the week and who wings it like I do every night? How much variety do you try to add?

1 comment:

  1. First off, I saw on tv where they hide vegetables in food by grinding in food processor. If they like pasta, stuff the veggies inside it like ravioli. Mix it inside the hamburgers they eat or do they eat? Cauliflower has hardly any taste as do many other veggies. And the last thing I would do for your family is have manditory blindfolding at meal times. Let them guess what they're eating. The winner gets money. Sorry, no better ideas here. I didn't have a choice when I was a kid. Either you ate what was on your plate or you didn't eat that night. Keep it simple, way too many choices. As far as variety...I remember the same foods different days. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn. Pork chops, potatoes, lima beans. Hamburger, corn, green beans. Not much choices. No desserts, no rolls or bread and milk with every meal.
    Boy it would be great to be a kid today...such choices!

    A peditrician once told me that his kid wouldn't eat most foods. So his wife fixed the plates and when the child didn't eat they just let him not eat. After about 3days the kid began eating because he was truly hungry.
    Try giving them a choice, eat what I have fixed or don't.... instead of trying to rack your brains out with meals they will love.

    ReplyDelete