Friday, September 24, 2010

Genetic Backing Disease

It is a fact, little known by people outside of my immediate family, that we as a family unit are afflicted with a Backing Disease. What this means is that any car accident or incident that we are involved in happens only when our cars are in reverse. We are backing impaired. I am sure there is a gene linked to this disorder, but we have not been able to isolate it, or determine if it will be passed down to the next generation. We are hopeful for our children's sake that it will skip a generation!

Here is a little history: My Mom backed into a Mercedes at a Baskin Robbins ice cream shop, my Dad backed into a Camero owned by my teenage brother's girlfriend that was in the driveway of own house, my sister backed her van into her own garage bending her rear wheel well, my brother backed into a Stealth at a Krystals, and I personally had my first "incident" backing up in the parking lot of a Walgreens last year. It was a no fault accident because the other guy was also backing up and we just didn't see each other. My mini van took the brunt of the damage with a banged up bumper and a rear window that imploded! Not good.

Well, yesterday my hereditary backing disease flared up again. I took Chip to Sonic to get a Happy Hour Root Beer after school and when backing out of our slot I caught the passenger side mirror of my car on a big metal pole. Guess what happened? If you guessed that the mirror went flying in all kinds of directions then hung limply on the side of my Suburban, you are right! I was so mad at myself. I saw the pole, and even commented to Chip how close it was to the back door while we were waiting for our drinks. I was so busy checking all the different directions car could be pulling in or backing out behind me that I didn't realize how close the pole was to my mirror. I heard the crunch before I saw it coming. Sigh.

I honestly didn't know exactly what to do. Do you call your insurance company while you are there? Do you call the police? Report it to Sonic? Pick up the phone and call your husband? I did Option 4. He told me to pick up the pieces and if there was significant damage we would call our insurance company later. I hopped out of the car and picked up two big plastic pieces that were on the driver's side of the car. I guess they flew off with some purpose to land on the opposite side of the car. I hopped back in the car, anxious to get the heck out of there, and did a better job of backing out the second time.


Drive home Chip says to me "Well, that was my first wreck. Thanks Mom".


I got home and took a closer look at the damage. Hmmm, do those two plastic pieces snap back on? I dug them out of the car and low and behold, they were in complete solid pieces that snapped right back on the car. The mirror itself was cracked, but the surround looked good as new. Hurray for the sturdy Suburban!


By chance, I had an appointment to take my car in for its first oil change and tire rotation this morning. While there I showed the service guy my sad little hanging off mirror and asked him to see if they could fix it for me. Turns out they could. For less than $100 bucks I was back on the road with all mirrors intact. I am glad that it turned out to be relatively minor and I didn't do any further damage.


Moral of the story, if you see me or someone in my immediate family backing up near something or someone you treasure, get the hell out of the way. We are dangerous in reverse.

Happy Friday All!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment