Thursday, October 14, 2010

Brotherly Love

Yesterday, Harry and Chip were outside talking, leaning a bit more towards arguing, and I was doing a bit of eavesdropping. Chip was having a bit of a downer day and kept telling Harry everything he couldn't do. Harry got so frustrated with him. So much so that he came inside, found me and told me he was worried about Chip. I asked him why. Harry explained that Chip kept saying he couldn't run, he wasn't good at basketball, etc... I told Harry I thought Chip was having a bad day, or was peeved that I made him turn off the Xbox and go outside and he would be fine.

Harry wasn't satisfied with that answer.

He went back outside and talked Chip into running around the cul-de-sac with him. Of course, Chip was able to make it and was very proud of himself. I watched through the dining room window and thought it was so touching to see Harry running alongside Chip, coaching him, cheering him on. When they were done, both of them were breathing hard and smiling.

Then I saw Harry turn Chip toward him and put his hands on Chip's shoulders. He bent down until his face was about two inches from Chips and looking him in the eye and said something to him.

Later that night I asked Chip what Harry had said to him.

He said "He told me that I was amazing and that I could do anything I wanted to do if I tried hard."

My heart just exploded and I died. Not really, but almost. It was beautiful.

In the vein of "Keeping it Real" I will disclose that I don't have the time or inclination to add all the other details to the story. That would include both boys crying at one point or another, Chip falling and scrapping his knee and hurting his wrist, name calling, threats and basketballs used as weapons. I want to just remember the high points. The point where that big brother cared enough to give his little brother a bit of encouragement. The rest of it is just the process they had to endure to get there.

This morning, as I am walking Chip out the door to take him to school I yell upstairs for Harry to get up and get in the shower. Chip says "I love having a brother." I said "He sure was nice to you yesterday, wasn't he?" Chip says "Yeah, that was weird, wasn't it?"

Hope you experience something wonderful today!

No comments:

Post a Comment