Friday, December 10, 2010

Jogger's Endorphine Rush

I ran a mile this morning without stopping. I use the word "ran" very, very loosely here. I was not walking....but I wasn't running either. It is a slow, slow jog, but for purposes of this post I am going to use "ran" in place of "slow, slow jog".

I dropped Chip off over at Pootie's house yesterday afternoon and JV was outside getting ready to go for a run. He told me he had been reading my blog and because he is a relative newcomer to the running scene, it was still pretty fresh in his mind how hard it was to overcome the mental part of running. He said it is still hard, which doesn't bode well for my future, but let's carry on. He said one of the tricks he does is he slows down to just barely moving to catch his breath...not stopping, but just shy of not stopping. Said he gives himself permission to go as slow as he needs to. So this morning I tried to start off with a better attitude (key element) and I gave myself permission to go as slow as I needed to.

It worked! I quieted down all the complaints running through my head, cranked up the music, told those mean doubting voice to shut the hell up and just went slow and steady! Seriously, at some point I wasn't sure I was actually moving at all. I was moving though and added some mileage (.6) to the warm up leg we usually run and then ran a full mile without stopping. I feel compelled to confess that it was on the long, lovely downhill stretch of our run, but I am still completely and utterly thrilled with that accomplishment! Took another short walking break and then finished up with another run segment! Ultimately ran a total of 2 miles of the 3.4 or so total! I felt like Rocky!

Here is my most favorite part though. In the wee hours of the morning, there are five other ladies, crazy enough to get up and out of their house to exercise and all of them can run circles around me. For our morning runs, they are running their own pace and setting their own goals, but waiting at random stops along the way for Slow Poke. My girl Beth always has a soft spot in her heart for me so she tends to run a while then come back and check on me. Poor thing is probably running an extra mile! But that is the part that I love, love, love about exercising with other people. There is just so much you can learn about a person when you spend an hour or more in their company. Walking and talking just is one of the most wonderful ways to make life long friends. Running however, at least for me, is not conducive to to talking. I do still however feel like I am in such a positive, powerfully precious circle of support. Women are such wonderful cheerleaders for each other. I love my girls and having them to celebrate my accomplishment with this morning was the best.

My face will probably be beet red from exertion for another couple of hours, but when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror I will likely still be grinning from ear to ear. Who knew a measly old mile could be so satisfying!

Have a terrific day!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Melissa!!! I always tell people my running is more like shuffling. LoL! It is what works for me. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete