Saturday, December 18, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

What a weekend we have had! Full of lots of holiday merriment! Let me give you the run down.

We kicked off the holiday parties on Thursday night with my Book Club party. We had a lovely evening with great food and lots of laughs. Let's talk about the food for a second. Our hostess, Tracy made these delicious Bacon Grit Fritters which were awesome. She also made some Cranberry Jalapeno Salsa that was so beautiful and delicious. No calories there, right?

This is the first year we have done a book exchange and it was so fun. Everyone brought a book that they would recommend to a friend. We did the dirty santa game where you draw numbers and you can either open a present or steal one that is already open. I am a terrible picker of books for book club. I love reading every and anything, but the books I pick just always manage to be duds. So in picking out my book I was a bit worried and decided to look for help on the 100 Books You Should Read Before You Die list. I am big on Lists Before You Die. I ended up picking a book called Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. I was worried about how it would go over, so I put a cute little ornament on the book to help sell it! Isn't it cute?

Let's hope the content is as worthwhile as the cover!

Next up, on Friday afternoon it was time for Mr. Bradley's third grade class party. Complete chaos! The kid made this craft that was very cute - although a bit difficult and time consuming for some eight year olds who are tingling in their seats about the upcoming holidays and vacation days from school.

My little Chip crafting like a champ.


Seems a little perplexed about how his Pringle Can Nutcracker turned out - but I think it is sweet. Definitely a keeper.

Next up, we leave the kiddie crafts behind and head over to Beth and Tony's house for an adults only party. It was so fun!


Our lovely hosts. The food was awesome! Beth made her traditional stuffed dates and I ate entirely too many of those. They are my favorite!

Got to visit with so many of my favorite people! Definitely a night that I look forward to every year and imagine I have more fun than anyone else!


Some of my best girls!

Harold spent the night at his buddy's house on Saturday night and they pulled their first all nighter! Didn't go to bed until 7:30 in the morning. They were like a bunch of staggering drunks on Saturday morning.

Next up on Saturday night we had dinner with some of our good friends in the neighborhood.


Some of the "all-nighter" culprits. They seem to all have smiles on their faces even on very little sleep.

More of my sweet mom friends. Just love these girls.

Dad's chatting it up, telling lies, spinning tales. Actually, I have no idea what they talk about and it doesn't even matter.

We played this really fun game where you have a securely wrapped present and the object of the game is to be the person who finally unwraps the gift. You have to roll a dice and get a six to be able to take a turn at unwrapping. The catch is that you have to wear a Santa hat and big thick oven mitts while unwrapping. It is a fast paced game with lots of screaming, yelling, laughing and spirited competition. I may or may not have lost a big chunk of hair when one of the aforementioned sweet mom friend's jerked the Santa hat off my head. All in good fun - but thankful that I have hair to spare!

No one loved it more than this little girl. Morgan LOVED it. All that chaos for a measly $5! I was a sweaty mess, with a raging headache after laughing so hard.

Then we tied up their grandmother. Don't ask. I couldn't explain it in 500 words or less and if I did tell you, I would have to kill you.

What an amazing sport she was!

That wasn't all folks! We spent Sunday evening at the Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theatre for an Elf Quote-a-Long! It was so fun! What can get you in the Christmas spirit better than a viewing of Elf? When you went in they gave you a bottle of bubbles, a white balloon and a jingle bell. During the movie, the most famous lines like "I like smiling, smiling is my favorite" would appear on the screen and the audience would all say them aloud. During the shower scene we all sang along and blew the bubbles. Filled the theatre with bubbles. The snowball part was my favorite. Everyone blew up their balloons and pelted people with them like snowballs. The kids loved it. There were balloons flying everywhere. In the end, we all rang our jingle bells and sang loudly for all to hear to get some Christmas spirit and make Santa's sleigh fly! Very festive entertainment!

Now it is Monday afternoon and we are still loafing around in our jammies! I love Christmas break!

Tonight is Monday Night RAW and Chip has been counting down the hours since Friday! He is excited out of his mind!

I hope you found a little magic in your weekend and made some wonderful memories! Now let's get those men in their tight undies fake fighting in a ring! That is some kinda Christmas magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment