Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Make This Soup

Please.

It is called Mary's Chicken Green Chili and Jalapeno Soup.

It comes together in just a few minutes and is so dang good and pretty dang healthy. I made it today, for like the 15th time this year and it is so worth sharing! In fact it is probably worthy of a Public Service Announcement. Someone get this recipe posted on PBS or something.

SIDENOTE: No one in my house will eat it except for me. I make it anyway. I don't do that very often. It is their terrible loss and my delicious gain.

Here is the recipe:

Mary’s Chicken Green Chili and JalapeƱo Soup

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
l/2 cup chopped white onion
1 clove garlic, peeled
One 32oz box organic chicken broth
One 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup Campbell’s Healthy Request
One 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup Campbell’s Healthy Request
2 cups lowfat milk or 2 cups evaporated skim milk (I used one cup of each)
2 - 4 oz cans chopped green chilis
2 pickled jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped (I used one 4 oz can)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 pound Velveeta cheese, roughly chopped
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

Preheat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and cook, stirring constantly, until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Press in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the broth, soups, milk, green chilies, jalapeno peppers, and cumin. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cheese and cook, still stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until melted. Stir in the chicken, cilantro, salt, and white pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes more to warm through. Ladle into 6 bowls and serve each with a lime wedge on the side.

Serves 6 to 8

DO IT! Then come back and tell me how good it was. I already know, but would like to hear it from you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment