Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some Days I LOVE Exercising

Today was one of those days.

Do you want to know why I loved exercising so much today?

Because it wasn't exercising, as much as it was...laughing my face off for an hour.

Here is how the morning unfolded.

Now, me and Martha usually walk/run (more walk than run) most mornings. We decided we wanted to bike at least one day a week to change things up a bit and today was the day to bike. Our friend Sarah decided to join us.

It was a beautiful morning. It FINALLY rained last night. A big giant thunderstorm rolled through and the stale, dusty, Texas earth was just washed clean and the air was cool and felt amazing.

We are all commenting on the beautiful weather and how fun it is to bike. We are all chatting and catching up with each other. We eventually start hearing less from Sarah and we notice that she is pedaling like a demon to keep up. Sarah is fit. She is tiny. She is in WAYYYY better shape than me. But she is struggling. Sweating profusely. The whole nine yards.

We slow down, just taking our time. She keeps saying things like "God, I am so out of shape." "Why am I pedaling so much more than you guys?"

Oh my goodness, I am laughing out loud as I am typing this cause it was just so dang funny.

We get about 3 miles in and she is asking us what gear we are in. We tell her and she tries to switch gears on her bikes to match ours. Nothing is happening. We stop, pull over, all give a try to wrench her gear shift thing to a different gear.

She finally says forget it. I will just keep trying. Or maybe she said "Just leave me for dead."

We would never, ever leave her. So we laughed and she kept riding her no-gear changing bike.

We continue up this giant hill that we call the switch-back and she just barely can make it up that hill. It is a super hard hill to get up with gears on your bike. Not sure how she did it without gears.

We stop for a drink (or shower, if your friend misses your mouth completely and pours water all over your body) at the top of the hill.

I tell her to switch bikes with me. Let me see if I can get the gears to shift.


I climb on her tiny, little bike and immediately say "Your tires are FLAT!!!" No wonder you are not going anywhere fast.

She says "I thought something felt weird."

We are now about 5 miles from our house. Sarah is just about in need of a defibrillator from all the effort she put in to get that bike five miles down the road on flat tires and no gears.

I ride it for a short while. Laughing the whole time because it is damn near impossible to move her bike. Not only are the tires and gears a problem, but it is a tiny bike. You can't extend your legs at all.

Meanwhile, she is on my old lady cruiser bike with the big seat and she is singing with joy "OMG, this bike is amazing! The seat is fantastic! It is so easy to pedal!!! Thank goodness it wasn't me! Faulty equipment is to blame."

So I ride it on the sidewalk and down a great lovely down hill, then Martha says she will take a turn on the no gears, flat tire, tiny circus bike with a hard seat.

Martha is working it out. She is pedaling like she is in training to join Lance Armstrong's team and we are making pretty good progress. It was truly impressive.

Or so we thought.

Then, out of nowhere, a runner passes us. On foot. He was running with his own two feet and he went past us on our bikes like we were standing still.

I yelled after him "Hey, you did not just run past us like we weren't even moving, did you?"

He turned around and gave me a smile.

I gave him the finger. No, not really. I did not give him the finger.

What I did was yell "Well, that's okay cause we just got done riding 50 miles. We are in our cool down."

Stupid runner. Making us feel old.

So, Martha continues on the circus bike. Sarah riding beside her, praising her, gratitude flowing out of her like a river. "You guys are the nicest people ever. Thank you for not making me ride the whole way on my broken down bike. Martha you are amazing. Making it look so easy. I was dying. I was sure I was going to die."

Martha has to get that bike up a steep, long hill. She is hunched over, pedaling like her life depended on. Can't talk. Can't breath. Head down. Total concentration.

She gets to the top of the hill and it is time for Sarah to take it the rest of the way.

Martha through gasps of air says "When is your birthday? How about your anniversary? Please ask for a new bike."

We laughed, and laughed, and laughed some more.

So, Sarah's bike got our heart rates up this morning...BIG TIME. But it also got our laugh on. In a big way. My face hurt when we got back.

It was a disaster. One that will go down in my mind as one of the best exercise days ever. It was kind of like my morning swim in a war zone that I wrote about last year. Read about it here if you haven't seen it yet.

Good times. Great times actually. I can't wait till our next ride.



2 comments:

  1. OMG! I HAVE NEVER LAUGHED SO HARD IN ALL OF MY LIFE - OH, WAIT A MINUTE THAT LAST TIME I WAS WITH SARAH - I LAUGHED THAT HARD! NOW YOU ALL KNOW WHY I LOVE THIS CHILD OF MINE SO MUCH!!! SHE IS ONE OF THE MOST NATURALLY "FUNNY" PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET, UH, YOU ALL MAY KNOW HER SON DAVID........UH,HUH...."NUTS FALLING FROM TREES", UH HUH! MELISSA - WHAT A GREAT WRITING GIFT YOU HAVE. YA'LL KEEP ON PEDALING! AND LAUGHING!!! SARAH IS MY DAUGHTER-IN-LOVE! AND I LOVE HER DEARLY, YES, I DO! LOVE,JUDY NOT SURE WHAT A "PROFILE" IS...OH WELL........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy - Thanks so much for the comment! We love Sarah too! She joined us for our run/walk this morning and I was the one sucking wind and not talking. I am fairly certain she made note of it. We had a great time and laughed hard again reliving yesterday's fiasco of a bike ride! What do we have to do to get your son to get that funny girl a new bike? Because, even though it was funny, I don't think we want to do it again!

    You are a lucky one to have sweet Sarah in your family. She is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete