Sunday, July 31, 2011

Company Is Coming

Hello all. So happy to be finished with the bazillion vacation pictures and updates so I can get back to some regular blogging about regular living.

We have been doing some honest to goodness normal, stay at home, living after being on the road for about two weeks. It feels so good!

We were lucky enough to have some family come by and stay with us for a few days. They came last July and we had a wonderful visit. You can read about it here. This year was no exception and I hope they make a pit stop at our house a regular part of their summer!

Here are some pictures from our visit this week.


The family arrived in the late afternoon and they came in with a fungus, rash, mystery red itchy spot on LT's leg. I took this photo to document the size of the mark in case it decided to spread and also just to make LT let me take a picture of her leg.


LT is a good sport, although I was a little bit concerned that she need First Aid immediately upon arrival.


These cousins got reacquainted really quickly and before you know it they were having high tea upstairs with British accent and sword fights with Star Wars light sabers and sticks from the window blinds. It was an odd sort of entertainment, but none of them were complaining!


The next morning we decided to check out Inner Space Caverns.


Everyone was revved up for adventure!


Come on...let's explore...or at least get out of this ridiculous heat! Indoors people! Underground to a cave that rocks a steady temp of 78 degrees! Let's go!


The kiddos visiting the woolly mammoth.


Down into the cool darkness we went. This handsome fellow is A/C, the husband and father of this family. He works on A/C for a living and therefore absolutely adores getting out of the hot Texas heat and enjoying A/C. He is such a genuinely nice fellow.


So down we went to the dark, moist cavern, with bats. Tiny little bats. Not a million, but some. That could fall down and get in your hair. That is a nightmare of mine. You have heard me talk about my hair. It is a rat's nest on the daily and thinking of a bat getting tangled up in that mess gives me the hibbie jibbies. I would beat myself to death trying to get a bat out of my hair.

Anyway, the tour started and sadly for the kids they realized it was going to be educational. WHAT??

Apparently a cavern is a living thing. Who knew. In order to keep it alive, you cannot touch the surfaces. Only in this one area do they allow you to touch the rock to see what it feels like. It feels wet and slimy.

Maybe I should add a separate EDUCATIONAL tab to my blog. We are learning some stuff around here!


The kids traipsed through here, getting a little freaked out occasionally. I mean, it was wet, moist and there were bats. I got a little freaked out too.


The guide pointed out lots of rock formations that looked like everyday objects. This one he showed us a Road Runner and Hare racing. Thrasher, the fun wife and mom of this family, could not see this, no matter how much we pointed it out.

I blew up the section of the picture, so that her husband can help her see it now. Come on Thrasher....the roadrunner is on top in kind of yellow stone and the hare is under him in white with his ears back.

Do you see it?



This is a giant ice cream cone. No mistaking that.



Hmmm, interesting. This little number we call Red Bull. She is high energy and sweet, sweet, sweet. Can we go swimming? When this is over, can we go to the pool? Are we going to get to go swimming?


She likes swimming.



ALOT!




Lemon Meringue ceiling.


All this ice cream and pie talk had me starving to death.



Group shot of the cavern explorers. We had a lovely lunch and then hit the pool! Happiness and good times for Red Bull.



We wrapped up our visit with a trip to Freebirds, Baskin Robbins and then an all in Home Run Derby on the Xbox. I think I came in last, which you would think wouldn't bother me...but I was really trying.



It was a short, sweet visit with promises of many more. Such a wonderful family and we are so lucky to not only be related to them, but to like them so much!



That is good stuff.


Much more to come from the weekend. We are babysitting the neighbors three dogs and two cats. We checked out an indoor trampoline place. I think Red Bull and LT would have loved it. They will just have to come back again so we can take them there to check it out!



More photos to come!

10 comments:

  1. I am still trying to recover from the trip to Alaska and now you are entertaining guests. I am exhausted just reading. When do you guys rest??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when I posted it didn't ask me to type some goofy word like......CLazrpate. Much easier for me to comment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I hope that works better for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testing...one, two, three. ;o) I don't know how you do everything that you do! And always with a big smile...or at least in the pictures you are smiling. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I give up trying to use my Google account but using the Name/URL worked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love comments! I have missed them so! Liz - What I have figured out about using my Google Account is that I have to make sure that when it asked me for my username and password that the little box that says "Keep Me Signed In" is NOT checked. Why that matters, I have no idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure wish I had your energy! And your ability to avoid that cave. How have you lived here for as long as you have and this is your first visit? We've been too many times during the last 3 years with out of town guests and birthday parties. And then Jason's 2nd grade field trip? The cave, AGAIN. I probably should be a tour guide and get paid for being there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. saw the hare...couldn't see the road runner

    love the mountain scenery behind your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make it seeem like we are deseased creatures!;)
    - Love LT!;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see the hare but not the roadrunner. Don't judge me!!

    Sincerely, Thrasher

    ReplyDelete