Thursday, July 14, 2011

MLB AllStar Weekend - Day Four

Day four in Arizona started super early for me, with a work teleconference and a bit of an emergency I had to jump into. I worked about four hours in the morning and Harry and Dad headed up a mountain. Chip stayed behind to keep me company.

Here are some pictures from their adventure. Now that's a cactus.

They made it to the top of the hill. That is downtown Phoenix in the background.

They called when they reached the top and me and Chip went out to take their picture from the hotel. Can you see those tiny specks at the top? I was zoomed all the way in and could barely see them.

Here I zoomed out so you can get more of a perspective of how high they climbed. Those two tiny sticks in the middle of the picture are them.

Harry said the hardest part was climbing the steep hill to the Presidential Suite.

We all cleaned up and headed to a Pizza joint we had recommended to us by some locals. Oregano's! Eat there if you ever get the chance. It was Yummy! Not as good as Home Slice, but pretty darn good.

Chip in his gloves. You have to take them off to eat pizza, kid!

Back down to Chase Field for the All-Star game.

The atmosphere was so exciting. You felt like you were part of something pretty special.

Big crowds, lots of energy! At one point, we were standing behind the section right behind home plate, where the seats were super expensive. A guy was sitting down in that section and sent the usher up to ask Harry where he got his Red Sox hat. We told him he got it at FanFest. The guy wanted to buy it right off Harry's head. There was a price put up of $100, but the size was way too small for the guy! The negotiations fell apart.

Me and Chip were hanging out in the outfield trying to catch some batting practice home runs. The closest we got was a guy caught one two rows behind us. It was exciting to try!

Dad hung out behind home plate taking pictures of all the players.

Harry positioned himself on the first base line, hoping for an autograph. He got one of a coach, but none of the players were signing.

The All-Stars all got their pictures made as a team.

More batting practice.

Then it was time for the fanfare....announcements of each player....the starters....the national anthem.

For the game they all wore their own team uniforms, which made it much easier for me to pick out some guys I recognized.

There were camera flashes going off everywhere.

A giant flag was opened in the outfield for the national anthem sung by Jordin Sparks.

Then the game got underway! It was fun to watch. During the 7th inning they did a Stand Up for Cancer commercial. We stood up for Callie, my grandma Martha and my sweet friend's mom Bobbye. It was really a cool moment.

Side Note: Aiden's family brought a couple of bottles and fed him two ounces at 7:00 p.m. and then he had another ounce and a half at 8:30. She was going to breastfeed him in the car on the way home.

The National League won pretty big with a smash home run by Prince Fielder. Celebrating, high fives all around.

Time for the Clampetts to leave baseball heaven and head back to reality.

Reality meant we arrived home at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday night - immediately started the washing machine - stayed up until about 12:30 getting unpacked. Woke up at 6:00 a.m. on Thursday to start working on the emergency that cropped up yesterday. Worked 10 1/2 hours on Thursday. Finished the laundry. Repacked to leave for Alaska. Stayed up until about 1:00 a.m. wrapping up loose ends. Alarm went off at 4:15 a.m. on Friday to shower and head to the airport for a 7:15 a.m. flight to Seattle. Back to back vacations can kill you!

We are in Seattle now! Boat leaves at 4:00 this afternoon. Can't wait to upload pictures from our afternoon in Seattle! Hope I can blog regularly from the cruise! I am exhausted, but thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment