Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day of School

Today is the first day of school! Harold is starting his sophomore year of high school and Chip is heading into the fourth grade!

I love a schedule and routine, so getting back to school is usually something I look forward to. Not only is the routine good, but getting seven hours of uninterrupted work time after a summer of running here, there and everywhere is awesome!

But this year I am having some major trouble getting my head around who, what, when, where and how. Like who needs to get where, what do they need to take, when do they have to be there, where are they going and how are they getting there. It is complicated.

You see, Harry is running cross country this year. He has been getting up at 5:45 a.m. to get to the 6:30 a.m. practice. They are normally done by 8:00 and then he is home for a shower.

Things will be different now that school is starting. Practice time is still 6:30 a.m. but now he has to shower at school. That is a HUGE change and one that has brought much entertainment to our household. I wish you could have been a fly on the wall when I was giving Harry the run down last night at 9:00. I thought his head was going to explode.

1. You will have two bags to take in the morning.
2. Before practice, put both bags in your locker.
3. Do you remember the combination of your lock? Are you sure? Put it in your phone just in case.
4. Get your water bottle out and take it with you to practice.
5. After practice, take your clean clothes out, put your sweaty dirty clothes in the same bag to bring home.
6. After you shower, leave your body wash and deodorant in your locker.
7. Bring your wet towel home with your dirty clothes.
8. Please eat your breakfast. I don't think you have lunch till 1:00 and you will be starving by then.
9. Make sure you are done in time to walk to the main building and find out what room you are supposed to report to.
10. Figure out how you can go by your locker and grab your dirty clothes bag before you come home.
11. You are riding the bus home. I think it is the same one as last year.
12. Text me when you get your schedule and tell me if you have any problems.

There was also some advice given by Hubby of how to get through the group shower situation as easily as possible.

Seriously thought Harry was going to lay down and croak right in the kitchen floor.

Then the real fun started when I showed him his lunch container, which was a totally cool blue cube from The Container Store with little sections for the sandwich, chips, etc.

Harry just stares at me.

Harry: "What? Are you trying to get me killed? I can't take that for lunch!"
Me: "Why not?"
Harry: "Because it is blue and a cube and has little sections!"
Me: "But your sandwich won't get smashed."
Harry: "I would rather eat a ripped up, shredded, flat, smashed sandwich than pull that blue cube out of my backpack. DAD - Tell her!"
Dad: "You wrote his name on it?"
Me: "Yeah, just in case he loses it."
Dad: "Good grief. Throw his lunch in a Wal-mart bag and be done with it."

AND that is just Harry!

Then we have my little Chipster to throw into the mix. Lunchbox, love notes, water bottle, snack, plan for where we are meeting after school.

My morning started at 4:35 so I could get lunches made and my exercise in before the day kicked off. It is dark and scary at 5:00 in the morning. And still HOT!

I have to do this EVERYDAY???

I'm pooped!

Bring summer back!!!

Anyway, they are both out the door this morning. With smiles. Yay!

But, I forgot to take a first day of school picture, so I will have to take that this afternoon!

I can't wait to hear all about their days when they get home!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

P.S. Text received from Harry that practice and shower were done and he was eating his breakfast! Big hurdle accomplished!




5 comments:

  1. I am still laughing about the blue cube. What were you thinking? Boy that is alot to do before he even starts his school day. Two and half men did a show on Jake going to middle school had him so scared he played hooky and stayed in his room.
    Love to hear these stories
    Mer

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue cube was totally practical!!! And cute. I should have had girls!! Glad to share these stories with you and so glad that you are commenting! Makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for dads or our boys might not survive our good intentions! I laughed out loud at that conversation. We had a similar one last night regarding appropriate dress for the first day of school. I lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! How will he remember all that stuff on the list? He's a teenage boy. There's only one thing he has on his mind and that is to look cool and look at the chicks. Glad Chipster is still young and enjoys his lunchbox notes. Blue cube was too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luper, that is so funny! You ARE trying to get Harry killed. He can't carry a lunchbox! We wernt through the same issue here as LT has to be at school at 6:45 for volleyball. LT doesn't get the opportunity to come home so showering at school is a must. Have you seen her hair? It takes a good 45 to dry it! I was on a walmart run late Sunday night when it was discovered that she would need shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deoderant, q-tips, toothpaste, toothbrush, toothbrush holder, shower caddy, etc...and she is only going to 8th grade...not off to college! It didn't work out so well on Monday but she's getting in the groove of things!

    ReplyDelete