Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


Weekend was great. I cooked Friday night and Saturday night. That is unheard of around these parts. I was hoping to control the restaurant intake. That plan worked well.

Unfortunately, I also baked. DANGER, DANGER!!! Cavemen didn't bake. I made the most amazing pineapple upside down cake EVER and spent the entire weekend being very uncaveman-like and eating bits and pieces off of it.

It was my girl, Beth's mother-in-law's recipe and her hubby's favorite cake. I made one for him last week when he got back from his Dad's funeral.

Anyway, while it was cooking in my oven last week, my mouth was absolutely watering because it smelled so awesome. Obviously, I just had to make one for my family.

That is kind of a lie...it was mostly for me.

So after I made it and tasted it, this is the text I sent to Beth: I want to salute your MIL for having the most amazing recipe EVER for pineapple upside down cake. Ate a piece warm from the oven and could have cried. Going into sugar and fat coma now. How in the world did you keep this from me for 11 years? I should be pissed.

I seriously think the first thing out of her mouth when she meets someone is "Hi, my name is Beth. My husband's mother has an unbelievably yummy pineapple upside down cake recipe that I have printed on this card to help spread the news."

My life (not my pants) would have been so much more enjoyable for the last 11 years if I had been making this cake occasionally.

Let me preface this recipe with a word of caution: Make sure your pants have an elastic waistband and/or are extremely loose from say....a raging stomach virus.

Here you go:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 stick of butter
1 can crushed pineapple (drained - save the liquid)
Brown Sugar
Boxed Yellow Cake mix

Melt the stick of butter in the bottom of a 9X13 pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter (about 1/2 cup or so, maybe more) until it looks like the butter is getting absorb by the brown sugar. Pour the drained crushed pineapple on top of the brown sugar. There are no cherries in this cake recipe because Tony doesn't like them. I did not miss them either and I love cherries. Also, I sprayed the sides of the pan with PAM just to make sure it came out easily.

Follow the directions on the box to make the yellow cake; except substitute 1/2 of the water called for with pineapple juice that you drained from your can of pineapple.

Pour the cake batter on top of the butter, sugar, pineapple concoction in your 9X13 pan.

Bake at 350 degrees according to the directions on the cake box or until a toothpick comes out clean. Pull it out of the oven, let it cool for about 10 minutes and then invert that beautiful, delicious wonder onto a serving plate. There will be some amazing little bits stuck in the pan that you must swear to scrape off and eat. Do not let that go to waste (or is that waist?). Cut a warm piece, eat it, moan out loud and then send me an email to thank me.

You are welcome.

I have done my part, by spreading the news to my eight regular readers (I think I am up to eight regular readers! Catching the world on fire with this blogging masterpiece!).

Now, you guys get out there and spread the news to the rest of the world.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, you told me this story already and I am laughing out loud reading it today! My MIL is the BEST and makes the best pineapple upside down cake. Sorry to not share sooner...your waist should thank me. Think I will go cut me a piece. :) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you counting Chris? He doesn't comment, but he reads. I always hear from across the house, "Melissa is so funny!" And I holler back, "I KNOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok...i get the recipe looks easy. but i need pix. you know like p.w. could you do that in your next post please? it would really really help me out.
    lol....glad boss is not in this afternoon.
    was i reader #8. it's a competition you know. just want to know where i stand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! I might just have to try this recipe tonight! Thank you for sharing - thank Beth for sharing!

    ReplyDelete