Friday, August 19, 2011

Random with a Capital "R"

There are lots of things on my mind today, so I am going to just do a random list and see if I can scare any of you with what is banging around in the old brain.

* Chip met his new 4th grade teacher last night. Her name is Ms. Coleman and she is lovely.

* Harry got his Sophomore schedule and it all looks good. Hard but good. Pre-AP Algebra II makes me wake up with night terrors.

* Can't hardly believe it is almost time to take "First Day of School" pictures again.

* I need a recipe for the best pineapple upside down cake ever made. I want to make it for our sweet friend Tony who just lost his dad. It's Tony's favorite and although it certainly won't take away his grief, I hope it let's him know that other people are thinking of him. If you have a good recipe - send it to me!

* A good piece of fruit is SOOO good, but a bad piece of fruit is SOOOOOOOOOOO awful. Just bit into a plum that made me want to barf - then a peach that made it feel like summer was exploding with joy in my mouth. Something exploding with joy in your mouth tastes really, really good!

* I love my Nook. Reading like a fool. The Hunger Games series - AWESOME!

* Where do insecurities come from? Are you born with them? Do you develop them over time? Is it nature vs. nurture? Why are they so hard to shake? Do some people have no insecurities or does everyone have something?? This is deep stuff. I have many questions and zero answers.

* We need rain. For real. Seriously. No joke.

* We have been walking from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning this summer. With the school year starting we think we might walk from 5:15 to 6:15. Holy cow, that is early. I am going to bed right now to bank some sleep.

* My girlfriend, Liz, who lives in Florida is doing the 3 Day 60 Mile walk this year in Tampa Bay. She was one of my biggest cheerleaders over the last two years and I am so very excited for her to participate herself. It is way outside of her comfort zone, but she is putting herself out there, doing some really hard training and finding the courage to ask for donations. I told her that she is going to be changed by the experience and I can't wait for her to feel the magic of The 3 Day. If you feel a tug on your heart to support the Susan G. Komen efforts like I do, please go to www.the3day.org, click on the Donate To a Participant button, type in Elizabeth Hartman, and give a little. It feels good to give to such an amazing organization that really helps people. Thanks for making a difference Liz! I am so proud of you!

* Why are drinks from Sonic so dang good? It is the ice? The cup? WHAT?

* Need to come up with some better Paleo recipes. I put Spaghetti and Meatballs over a pile of lettuce (instead of pasta) the other day. Big Mistake. Huge Mistake. Disgusting Mistake. Caveman Update: They did not have to contend with Zebra Cakes and they also didn't have to contend with donut holes. Just saying, these are challenges of epic proportions around these parts. Even an exploding with joy peach can't hold a candle to a donut hole. It is like food is not fighting fair.

That is all the rambling time I have for now.

Must turn the brain from "random" to "buckle down" to get some hard work stuff moved off my plate.

Hope your Friday is awesome and you have the best weekend EVER!!



5 comments:

  1. I sure hope someone shares a great pineapple upside down cake recipe with you on this website. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great random post. no recipe...sorry. did you check the p.w. webiste? not looking forward to next tuesday..for more reasons that one. maybe it will rain that day and make the first day of school and walking more enjoyable. (probably not) i am sure cavemen were developing zebra cakes and donut holes...just had not perfected them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, no pineapple cake, but this recipe was made for a caveman for sure.. Bon Appetite

    Fried Eel
    Bobby Flay


    Ingredients

    1 (1-pound) eel
    1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
    1 teaspoon seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
    1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    3 teaspoons salt
    1 cup blended oil
    1 teaspoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon chopped onion
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup white wine (recommended: Chablis)
    2 teaspoons butter

    Directions

    Clean and skin the eel, and then cut it into chunks. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, seasonings, oil, garlic, onion, and pepper. Add the eel to this mixture and then marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

    Dredge the marinated eel in flour. In a saute pan over medium heat, sear the eel until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the butter and cook until it melts and browns slightly. Divide the eel among 4 serving plates and top with the butter sauce.

    * Restaurant Recipe

    This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.



    Read all 1 reviews

    By farmer07832

    its good but i Clean and skin the eel's and then cut them into chunks. and put the chunks In a large bowl of milk over night the milk takes all the mud and oils out of the meat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sweet Melissa, Thank you so much for mentioning me in your blog (I feel so honored!). I'm getting excited...and nervous...but I can't wait for Oct 28th to arrive so I can start my official 3-day walk weekend. I can't wait for the opening ceremonies...and even more so the closing ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secret of sonic drinks...is without a doubt...the ice!

    Thrasher

    ReplyDelete