Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rigged Machines, Chin Blowouts and Mr. Knowledge

You may remember that I mentioned in a recent post that our washing machine was rigged up with tape and required a screwdriver to actually spin.  I took pictures for you and for me.  I would like to think this is industrious and a little ingenuity at work, but mostly I think it is just lazy and cheap.   

It all started when one day I found the washing machine full of water....and clothes....actually, I think it was towels. Heavy towels.  I tried everything I could think of to get that thing moving.  In the end, I pulled the towels out by hand, wrung them out as best I could, and hightailed it over to my neighbor Karen's house to see if I could borrow her washer and dryer.

She is used to my crazy requests and just took the basket from me an returned them clean and folded like 30 minutes later.  She is awesome like that.

What I finally figured out is that is that there is a switch inside that hole that is normally pushed down by the lid when everything is as it should be.  Well our switch under the hole was loose and hanging down and the lid wasn't able to reach it.

I took the entire washing machine apart and me and hubby taped that switch back into its correct position with pink duct tape. I was so proud that we had worked together so nicely.  And that the repair had worked.

Sadly, the pink tape fix was only temporary.  Within a few months it wasn't holding on good enough either. 

Next solution, shove a screwdriver in the hole to make it spin.

That doesn't seem safe does it?

You will be happy to know that we shove it in the hole and then close the lid to hold it still and keep it from flying into a spinning washing machine.

That would be all kinds of bad if that sucker drops in a spinning washer and gets spun out at 100 mph.  I am sure I would get hit right between the eyes.  I'm lucky that way.

So far, this method is working fine.  I am sure eventually we are going to cram that screwdriver in and the entire switch is going to fall out into the washing machine.

We will deal with that when and if it happens.

Do any of you have home repairs that look like this?  Do you use duct tape to fix things that you think might not actually call for duct tape?  We do.

Speaking of things being broken, let me tell you about my next little picture...

This is a little treat box I made up for my friend Connie.  Connie broke her jaw in a bike wreck.  She face planted on a sidewalk and cut her chin open and really messed up her jaw.  When I say messed up her jaw, I mean she had to get braces and is wearing these tight rubber bands to keep her teeth in position so her jaw can heal.  She can't open her mouth at all without taking the bands off! 

OWWWW!!!

Now, I ride with Connie periodically and as much as I hate that she was alone when she wrecked, I am so glad I wasn't with her.  I do not do very well in emergencies and I am sure I would have made an already awful situation worse.  I would have over reacted I am sure.  Her chin would have been bleeding and I probably would have done CPR on her.  So Connie, my friend count your blessings I wasn't there!  And also, no more passing on a bike.  EVER.

So that leads me to my final pictures of the day. 

Our visit with Mr. Knowledge. 

I had never met Mr. Knowledge until this weekend.  It was Sunday afternoon and I was knee deep in craft stuff or laundry stuff or cooking stuff...just my stuff and little Chip was following me around begging to do the Science Experiment Kit that he had brought home from school on Friday.  I had put him off all morning and finally I asked Hubby to take a crack at it.

They started pulling out the parts and directions and figuring out how this Morse Code experiment was going to work.  Look at happy Chip.

I think this is actually goof ball Chip.  There are several steps that he should be taking to assist his Daddy, but he is busy looking like a weirdo.

Give me some tape Chip!

Doesn't he look scholarly?  WHAT IS THIS FACE?

So Dad is working away, connecting wires to batteries, and there are little light bulbs and connectors and cutting cardboard and tape.  It is involved.  Little Chip isn't really getting the gist of the experiment.

Dear Old Dad decides to show him about electrical current by asking him to stick out his tongue.  Tell me what you feel, he asks his little student.

KIDDING!  He did not light up Chip's tongue, although he probably deserved to be zapped.   The went on to do some of the Morse Code part and then realized there was more.

I turn my back for a second and the next thing I know, Mr. Knowledge, as he was so lovingly referring to himself appeared with his graduation ensemble from college.  Who even knows where their cap is twenty years after graduation? 

Mr. Knowledge does, that's who!

He spent a little more time explaining the theory of electricity or evolution or relativity to the little Chip....or more honestly he just kept saying "Hit the Button"!


And then there was light and the children celebrated! 

Way to go Mr. Knowledge!!!  You have wowed the children with you mad skills!

So this was a totally random post, covering lots of random topics!  And, sadly I am probably going to be tied up with a big proposal for the next several days so this is all you will get for a while Mom and Dad! 

Be patient, I will be back....or.....maybe I will see if Mr. Knowledge would be interested in a guest post.

GOODBYE!!!

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! Wish all male grads were shirtless. LOL

    ReplyDelete