Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Catching up....


Hello all!  It has been almost a week since my last post.  I know it has taken every ounce of my mother's restrain not to call me.  Thank you, Mom! 

Here are some pictures from our busy weekend!
 
Harry's early morning position on the couch.  It is 5:30 a.m., where is your teenager?  Does he seem tired to you?  I can't tell.

Harry had another cross-country meet this weekend and it was the biggest one yet.  Something I read said that there would be about 2,000 kids running in the meet.  I think that number might have been a little low.  Look at the next series of pictures of the herd of JV runners coming towards the camera.







Do you see the dust they are kicking up?  It was a cloud!

There's my Harry!  He said this was by far the hardest course yet for him.  Lots of rolling, long hills.  In spite of the hills, he was able to beat his previous 3.1 mile time, so it was a good day for him. 

I have to share another story with you here, just so I don't forget it AND so I can bring it up to Cindy every chance I get.

During the meet, there are several vantage points where you can see the runner's, get close enough to yell encouragement, take pictures, etc.  But,  here's the thing....you have to hustle to get from one point on the course to the other. 

So me and my girls, Martha and Cindy, are dashing all over the place, yelling for each others kids and just kids in general, because that is the best part of being at a cross country meet.  Anyway, at one point I am running up a hill and Cindy is taking my picture. I am running in slow motion...so she can get my picture, and also because that is just the motion with which I normally run.  We get to the top of the hill and I say "I love this...I'm so excited."  I was talking about how much I love the excitement of the race, seeing the kids, cheering them on, the weather was gorgeous, pictures were coming out great. 

Cindy, looks at me and says "Do you know who you are reminding me of right now?"  I say "Who?"  And do you know what she said?  She said "Will Ferrell."

I just fell out laughing.  I said "Who says that to a girl??  Will Ferrell, the giant guy with the God awful hair??  I know he is funny, but still!  I thought you were going to say "Bo Derek cause I was running in slow motion like she did, although my hair is not braided and I don't have a red bikini on, but Will Ferrell??"

She said "I just meant the "I'm so excited part!  It sounded like Will in "Elf" and we are huge Elf fans."

Seriously, giving me a complex.

So after Will Ferrell and the girls watched the cross country meet we had a little down time in the afternoon.  Chip had a flag football game early on Saturday and sadly I missed it, but his baseball game wasn't until 6:00 p.m.

When I asked Chip how he did during his football game, he said "Mom, I'm doing pretty good at quarterback.  I have 24 points.  Of course, 12 were for my team and the other 12 were for the other team."  He apparently has thrown two touchdown passes and also two interceptions for touchdowns for the other team. I thought that was so funny.



They lost their baseball game, but it was against a much older and better team.  The evening weather was spectacular and I think the kids had fun in spite of the outcome. We went out to dinner with our baseball friends and then piled up on the couch to watch the Bama game.

A special shout out to Martha who saved the DVR day for us!  We were all the way to Chip's baseball game when we all look at each other and say "WE FORGOT TO SET THE DVR".  Oh no, we were going to miss the big Bama vs. Florida game.  Thankfully, I have the nicest friends in the entire world and Martha jetted over to our house and set the DVR for us.  Much appreciated Martha!  You are the best. Eventually, you will learn to quit answering the phone when I call.

Sunday, we headed over to our local park for a day of "Camp Peggy" fun with the V family.
 
The kids started out playing on the playground.  Just looking at this picture hurts me.  Harry spent his entire 3rd grade year mastering the monkey bars.  He spent so much time swinging on these bars.  Frontwards, backwards, skipping one, trying to skip two.  Back then I worried about him falling so far down to the ground, now he is standing on the ground and touching.  Ugh.  He is growing up so fast.



Dad joined us at the park after his bike ride. 
  
Peggy's plan was for us to try our hand at a little sand volleyball and a kickball game. It has been a long time since I played either.  We laughed so hard playing sand volleyball, because basically we stunk.  Badly.  Really badly.  It was more like a game of hit and fetch. 

NOTE TO SELF:  Sand is hot.  Wear tennis shoes.

Kickball was a little better.  It was four adults against six kids. 



The kids thought they were going to beat our pants off, but they were wrong.  We dominated in that game.  It was all in good fun and the boys even posed afterward for a few pictures for me.



After grabbing a little lunch, we moved Camp Peggy to our cul-de-sac where we played outside for three more hours.
We played ladder golf.  I was 5 - 0 if anyone cares.

The boys played some crazy football game where they tried to intercept each other.  We bowled with basketballs, jumped through hula hoops, bounced balls, and wrapped up the evening with a kids versus adults touch football game.


Adults won in the final tie breaker...but it was a super close game, down to the last play. 


Champions of the Day!

The kids had a great day!  Chip has never been dirtier, I am certain of that.  Both of my boys said "We should do that every weekend, it was so much fun."

I hope our terrific weekend is just what we needed to kick off a great week!  I hope the same for you!

2 comments:

  1. Just wears me out just reading about your weekend. Take care Will...I mean Bo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend! I wish we lived closer!!! I had a friend who did a crazy thing once. He went to the bowling alley and bought a bunch of used kid's bowling balls in different colors and made a giant bocce ball game. Everyone loved it. Just an idea for ya.

    ReplyDelete