Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Fruit Tree

This weekend I made a Christmas Tree out of fruit.  I originally saw the idea on the website "Pinterest" and when my buddy Beth said she was having a Christmas party I asked her if I could bring this.  I really thought it would be fun to make. You guys know I like me some crafts.  I did have a great time making it and am so glad I took some pictures.  


I am going to go all Pioneer Woman on you and show you the "Cast of Characters".  It starts with a styrofoam cone that you cover with plastic wrap so the fruit doesn't actually touch the styrofoam.


The main characters were definitely the fruit!  I got green and red grapes, kiwi, blackberries, strawberries, pineapple, and cantaloupe and oranges (although I didn't end up using those on the tree) and lettuce for the tree skirt.


Using toothpicks, I started at the bottom of the cone grouping fruit together, being sure to get them as close together as possible so the styrofoam wouldn't show through.

I used almost an entire box of toothpicks.  100 toothpicks come in a box.  That is a lot of toothpicks.

I got a blister on my finger from pushing in toothpicks.

It took almost 2 hours to cover the cone.  And I was not taking any breaks.  It was easy but took a lot longer than I thought it would.


And my kitchen was destroyed.  Here is the "keeping it real" photo of my kitchen counter. 


And the fruit and toothpick parts that were all over the place. 


And in the end... I LOVED IT!  I thought it was pretty and festive.  Also, healthy.  Never mind, the fruit dip I made with cream cheese and marshmallow fluff.  That is of no matter.  What is actually on the tree is perfectly healthy!  If you choose to add a tablespoon of fruit dip to every grape that is up to you.

My favorite part is the pineapple star. So cute.

I am jazzed that I made another Pinterest project, that website is just slam full of great ideas.

I do think a smaller cone would make it a quicker job and would still hold a ton of fruit.  I will remember that if I ever make it again. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the tree. Bet it was a big hit
    Mer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mer it was a big hit! Prettiest thing on the food table! I am lucky to have your girl in my world! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. TCFW! You have out done yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how I got that long list of numbers/letters as my name...It's Connie-I didn't want you to think you had some secret creeper on your blog! :) I thought I was using my AIM profile.

    ReplyDelete