Saturday, January 7, 2012

Ten Random Tidbits

I was on such a great blogging roll, but have stalled out.  I have lots of little things going on and keep waiting to download pictures from my camera to post about them.

Well, the heck with that.

I am going to lay it all for you with a "Ten Random Tidbits" edition, no pictures, and move on!

1.  After a recent housekeeping exercise performed by one of my boys, it became apparent to me that I was not preparing them well to be able to survive in the wild...or living in an apartment or home on their own.  They most definitely need more guidance and practice in these areas.  That spurred me to mandate that they both pick one night a week to cook dinner.  I will be right there with them in the kitchen, but they will be doing all the work.  Chip started us off with Spaghetti and Meatballs on Tuesday night. When I say Spaghetti and Meatballs please do not get any notion that any of this was made from scratch. Frozen Italian meatballs, Prego Spaghetti Sauce, HEB frozen garlic bread and pasta. One of my boys favorite meals.  I know...they are so weird.  Chip did every single step (except pouring the boiling noodles into the strainer) and he rocked it.  He was so proud of himself.  Harry's night is Monday and he is making....drum roll....Fried Rice.  He said he already knows how to do everything but cook rice in the rice cooker.  That couldn't be easier, so once I explain that to him it looks like I will be loafing around in the kitchen supervising!  Yea for life skills!

2.  Skylanders figures....where oh where are you?  Sold out all over town.

3.  I'm painting!  Finally!  I bought paint and filled holes in the living room wall last night.  Once I hit the publish button on this post I am going to get busy!  I love fresh paint!   I hope to take some before and after pictures to share, but don't hold me to it.

4.  Leak under the kitchen sink discovered last night at 10:15.  YUCK!  I think it was the spray hose deal which was spraying weird yesterday and needed to be tightened up. I am letting it dry out under there and see if any more water shows up.  What is with the plumbing issues?????

5.  I have cleaned out the guest room closet and am transforming it into a little bit of craft heaven.  I am putting up a pegboard where I can keep my craft tools (glue gun, scissors, tape, etc.), putting in a little short bookcase to store fabric, paints and papers.  I have also purchased an over the door clear shoe organizer to put all the little pompoms, googly eyes, gems, pipe cleaners, etc.  I bought a four level pant hanger to store my ribbon.  It rocks.  I am also painting a long wooden board to serve as a makeshift temporary work surface in there. I can put it across the dresser and the nightstand to make a work surface for my Cricut machine and other things when I am crafting.  When we have company, it will be easy to put the board in the closet and clean up the craft clutter.  The best news is that I won't have to do my crafts on the dining room table.  I am totally jazzed!  It is going to be awesome!

6.  Weather here is spectacular.

7.  Getting back into the exercise routine.  Walked everyday with Martha in the wee hours of the morning and then we doubled up and biked yesterday afternoon.  It almost killed me.  I haven't biked in so long.  I am terrifically sore today.  I so wish that being sore was not the reward for a good workout.  It really should be the other way around....If you workout you feel wonderful and if you don't you are sore and stiff.  It is not a very good reward for working out to be sore and stiff.  I'm just saying.

8.  Chip has his first basketball game today.  Can't wait.  Go Thunder!

9.  Yesterday I was walking through the living room and a wild green lizard was walking across my  floor.  At first I thought Bama had made a great escape, but this was a lizard from outside.  I tried to catch him, but he was under the couch in a nanosecond.  I had to leave to go get Chip from school and when I came back he was no where to be found.  Hmmm.....I wonder if he heard crickets were being served, dusted with yummy calcium powder, every other day.  Would that be something if I found him on Bama's cage?

10.  Whenever I am out of something (which is often) I call my awesome neighbor Karen.  Now when she sees my phone number show up in Caller ID she answers with "Are you cooking again?"  So yesterday, I was going to try a new recipe.  I had glanced at the ingredient list and it seemed like regular staple items I should have.  Well, dang first ingredient I needed was cornstarch.  Everyone has cornstarch, right?  I could have sworn I had cornstarch.  Well, I didn't.  I called Karen and of course she does.  As I am walking across the street to pick it up, I actually laughed out loud, because I thought to myself "I really should have looked at the rest of the ingredients before I came over here, I will probably need something else!"  Thank goodness Karen loves me or she might not ever answer the phone!

That is all!  Time to paint!  Time to transform a closet into a wonderland of craftiness!  Time to watch some basketball!  Time to get the heck off the computer!!!

Have an awesome weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment