Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bob, Trivia Night and Other Stuff

Hello All!  Sorry it has been so long since my last post.  I have been running the roads, hard and fast these days and just haven't had a minute to gather my thoughts.  I am stopping this morning to do that...even though my work computer is dinging like crazy with email messages.  I am just going to shut the lid and tune it out for a couple of minutes.

We have so much to cover, so let's get to it!

Bob is home, recovering, going through the hell that is physical therapy and trying to poop while on excessive doses of pain medication.  Apparently, pooping and pain relief do not go well together.  I won't go into the details of the measures he has taken to relieve that situation but I will tell you that I was on a call with Bob, Lana and my sister and I was howling with laughter as they recounted their afternoon antics.  It was a story for the ages.

So when Bob was not strapped into his knee machine or being tortured by physical therapist he managed to put out a 70 picture album of his knee replacement journey.  Lana took over camera duties during his surgery and did an outstanding job.  I felt like I was there!  I thought I would cull through the 70 pictures and give you the highlights.  


Bob arrives and gets situated.


Leg is shaved and iodined all over.  He gets to surgery about an hour later than scheduled.


It is over.  He is disoriented, queasy, draining blood from his incision like a son of a gun and in lots of pain.


Same day they strap him into this knee machine that moves his knee.  His range of motion is practically zilch.


Then they get him up and walking!  Holy Moly!  He said it hurt something fierce.


The next day he is put through several rounds with the physical therapist and strapped into the knee machine for hours.  Gets his appetite back and starts talking everyone who walks into the room to get a picture taken with him.


There were 70 pictures in the album he sent out and half of them were with his people.  This is Mable.  He liked Mable.


Then we get to the good stuff.  The incision.  Oh yeah, I am impressed.  That is a big cut!  Oh and look at that nasty drainage tube sticking out of his leg.  Barf.


Swollen and painful, but it is done. 


He is home now and Lana has him set up in the living room with everything within arms reach.  He has a physical therapist coming to the house about 4 days a week.  He stopped taking his prescription pain medicine Monday night and is now on just Tylenol. Recovery is underway.  Go Bob...hang in there, Lana!

In other news....

The Cross Country Trivia Night Fundraiser was this past weekend!  It was a blast and raised $2600 for the Cross Country Team.

Here are some pictures from the event.


I made this poster with my Cricut Machine.  Which is awesome by the way...the Cricut machine, not the poster. 


It cuts out beautiful letters.  But here's is the downside...you have to glue each individual letter in place.  UGH!  I went through so many glue sticks making these and the centerpieces.


Check in table to pick up your packets.  The balloons were tied to a basket of "Smarties" and a box of "Ding Dongs".


Smarties Basket for the table that was in the lead through the ten rounds of questions.  NOTE:  The Smarties Basket never made it to Table 11.  That was my table.


The table in last place after each round had a box of Ding Dongs to identify their status.  NOTE:  THANKFULLY, Table 11 never had the Ding Dongs, either!


The Booster Club provided bags of popcorn, pretzels and sodas and water.  Pretty cheap event to host!


We had 14 tables of 8 people.  Here is the giant super automated screen on the stage where the questions were posted. 


I made a centerpiece for each table, made out of spray painted running shoes, a wooden dowel and a picture sign with the table number.  Each centerpiece and a front and back so it could be seen from all angles.  Two 5 X 7 pictures that were double matted on card stock.  Then my handy, dandy Cricut machine cut out the words "Table" and the numbers. 


Each letter was hand glued on by yours truly.  It took a long, long time.   I thought they turned out pretty cute.


I also had to make little signs for the Cell Phone baskets that were in the center of each table.  No cell phones could be used so all participants at the table had to put the phones in the basket for the evening.  Cute idea and worked like a charm.


The evening went well, with the exception that the questions were really, really HARD!  I am not sure I have ever felt so inadequate.  I think the only question out of a hundred that I knew for sure was a movie line out of the movie "Field of Dreams".  Thank goodness I had some smart folks at my table.  Every single person contributed, but my girl Beth's hubby Tony was a rock star at trivia.  We got 76 out of a 100 correct and came in 4th place.  I think everyone had fun and would do it again! 


Hubby won a $30 movie pass for winning the "Heads" or "Tails" game during a break between sessions.  Pretty easy money for putting your hands on your butt for three flips of a coin and then putting them on your head when no one else did!

So glad that event is behind us.  Now I just have to clean up my craft room because it is COVERED up in scraps of paper and this and that.  Disaster area of the highest order.

Also cranking up around here is baseball season. 


Chip's team is the Braves this year.  He looks so sharp in his uniform.  Hubby is managing the team again and I think they are going to have a good season.


Opening ceremonies at the Dell Diamond. 


Some of the cutie, patootie Braves!  They won their first game 10 - 5.  Last night, they had an 8:00 game (stupid late for 9 year olds!) and they lost 10 - 8.  Chip mowed down three batters with some awesome pitching in the 4th inning.  He likes being a closer.

Finally, I started seeing a Personal Trainer last Friday.  His name is Chad and he is an absolute encyclopedia of knowledge about the body and how it works and what foods do to your blood and insulin and thyroid issues and blood pressure and heart rate and nutrition and clean eating.  I am on information overload, but I am trying to be a sponge to learn everything he is telling me. He believes 150% in The Zone diet and so I am embracing that philosophy and changing my eating habits.  It has meant a lot of shopping, cooking, slicing and dicing.  He summed it up this way "If it is man made...do not eat it.  If it taste good...spit it out."  The second half was a joke.  But maybe not really. So I am eating Ezekiel bread and egg whites and apples and fat free cheese and taking a multivitamin and logging all my food, what I eat, when I eat it.  I am eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and now I understand why that makes sense.  He checks my food log and makes comments and recommendations on ways to improve it. Oh, and we are also exercising.  He thinks I am a rock star in the gym.  I think he may be setting me up.  Taking it easy on me and then he is going to go all Bob Harper and bust my chops.  So far it has been amazing on every single level AND I have lost weight!  GO CHAD, GO CHAD...it's working, it's working! 

Good Stuff.

Next time, I will tell you how much my boys are enjoying the switch to brown rice and whole wheat pasta.  It will be a short story.  In fact, so short I will just tell you now.  They are not digging it.  They are eating it, but cautiously, with much hesitation, and without much gusto.  They will come around.

On the horizon for the next couple of weeks....my next Lakeside visit is fast approaching, company is coming over Spring Break, Harry is turning sixteen in about 30 days (AAAAHHHHHH), I have to make a quick trip to Alabama for a training class, more baseball and of course my continued journey to better health.  March is going to ROCK!  Bring it on!

3 comments:

  1. That was a great blog entry. So much going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see you blogging again. Just reading what you have going on makes me tired! I am going to buy the Zone book and read up on what you are doing! Hubby and I have to do something to change our eating habits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you realize that if you were making food choices at the grocery store in the early 1900's, your only choices would probably have been eggs, milk, bread, cheese,flour, butter, and maybe a chicken or some beef. Can you imagine? All foods made from scratch and nothing to get your mouth watering. Hmmmm, poor folks back then. And now we are bombarded with processed, unhealthy foods that make our mouths overflow with drool. Good luck with the trainer. He is probably correct regarding... if it tastes really good, it has to be bad. :(

    ReplyDelete