Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese

Harry is growing like a weed, but still weighs nothing.  Seriously, I am not even sure the scale can pick him up.

I'm kidding.  I think he is actually over 100 pounds these days, but when he turns sideways you can barely see him. For real.

His main food groups are:

Goldfish
Chocolate Pudding Cups
Fried Rice
Macaroni and Cheese
Lucky Charms
Ramen Noodle Soup

With this diet, how does he possibly grow?  Is there any nutritional value in any of this junk?

So since I have been seeing Chad "Mr. Knowledge About the Human Body", I have kind of overhauled all the food that comes into this house.  I am buying Whole Grain Goldfish, which Harry says taste awful.  I haven't been making Fried Rice at all.  It is made with SPAM people!  Chad would not approve of SPAM.  He still has Lucky Charms and Pudding which is apparently how he is surviving.

The other day I bought a box of Organic Macaroni and Cheese.  He saw it in the pantry and went crazy.  Come on Mom, we have to draw the line somewhere.  Please don't make us eat this nasty substitute for real Macaroni and Cheese.  Now mind you, his idea of real macaroni and cheese is Kraft Mac and Cheese in the blue box. 


Not the spirals, not the Sponge Bob shapes, not Extra Cheesy, not Thick and Creamy....just regular, plain Mac and Cheese with the orange powder.  And don't even think about Velvetta Shells and Cheese....absolutely wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Or homemade...get out of here.

So, Harry went off on a comical rant about how our food stinks and eating some organic macaroni and cheese was where he was going to have to draw the line.  We were rolling in the floor laughing.  I thought Chip was going to bust a gut. 

Last night I had mercy on him and made Fried Rice for the first time in six weeks.  He devoured it. 

Then a strange thing happened.  He was crawling on the kitchen floor reaching way behind the refrigerator and I asked him what in the world he was doing.  He looks all sheepish, smiles at me and pulls that organic box of mac and cheese out from behind the refrigerator.  HE HID IT FROM ME!

I was shocked.

He said he was desperate.

I said:  How bad can it be? 

Stay tuned....I will report on the answer to that question when I serve it up for dinner!

Have a great Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Love your blogs. I cry one week about Harry growing up and laugh at him hiding whole grain pasta the next blog. LL from TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of my friend who was the queen of Southern cusine. She commuted to the "ATL" for work and her new friends were abhored by her eating choices. When she would come home during weekends to cook for her 15 year old who had been staying at his grandparents, she would make salad, turkey, and she threw out all hints of her Southern heritage. Not a drop of bacon drippings, flour, stuffing, left in the pantry. When I visited one day when she was home, he told me how he hated his Mom's new way of cooking. He said he was starving. I asked what he was going to do. And he smiled and laughed and said I'll just call Me-Maw and Paw Paw and they will bring me some REAL FOOD. I saw him mowing his grandparents yard yesterday. He is still tall and thin but had a big smile on his face. I know Me-Maw had him a nice bowl of apple dumplins waiting inside. My friend now is gaunt and eats mostly salad and drinks Margaritas to stay thin. She has developed a real aversion to food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking Harry might be helping those crickets escape in retaliation for all that healthy eating you have foisted on him!

    ReplyDelete