Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Novel

I am giving myself twenty blogging demerits.  I am losing out.  So many memories I am not capturing in words and/or pictures.  It is a busy time, but I need to redouble my efforts to post a little more regularly.

Let's see....

The last ten days....

I am down 25.5 pounds.  I had to travel to Bama for work and during that time I gained two pounds.  I did not earn those two pounds.  I was a Diet Saint while I traveled.  Apparently, flying just jacks up your system and you retain water.  That seems to be the case because two days back and those two pounds are gone again.  I am inching into new territory in the weight loss journey and that is fun.

Speaking of flying.  On the last leg of my journey home, the quick flight from Dallas...my flight got delayed.  I had been sailing along, not particularly stressed about flying, just getting through it like I did it all the time.  The captain comes out to the ticket desk and picks up the microphone...."Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a maintenance crew working on the aircraft for our flight.  There are two problems.  One is just a minor problem with a flap that needed to be re-glued.  That has been taken care of already.  The other is a much more significant problem in that BOTH navigation systems have failed.  They are going over to the hanger to get some parts and will attempt to repair it.  We will be back in about 45 minutes to give you an update."   Hmmm.  Seriously, you just glue parts of an airplane together.  Are you using Gorilla Glue??  Alarming!  Not as alarming as navigation systems failing.  I don't want to get on this airplane.  Let's get a new one.  An hour and half later that is the conclusion they came to as well.  New plane.  New gate.  It took some time and I was a couple of hours later than scheduled.  I arrived alive though, so that is what is important.

The training class I attended in Bama was great.  I always want to do a better job after going through a great class with a great instructor.  Putting some new processes into my procedures.  Our company is going through a mock CPSR by some audit firm to get ready for our real CPSR by the Government.  A CPSR is an audit of our purchasing system.  Having an approved purchasing system is a beautiful things and allows us to operate rather autonomously without a ton of oversight by the Government.  It is important when you do lots of purchasing and subcontracting.  One of my files got called for the mock CPSR.  That always makes me sweat.  Wouldn't it suck if your file was the one that failed the company.  I actually think it is a pretty good file, so fingers crossed there are no gross errors or omissions.   

Roaming the halls of my company is always such a strange experience after being gone for so long.  I don't know alot of the people that I pass in the halls or in the elevator.  When I do see someone I know, it is always a big squeal of recognition, hugs and catching up.  Just a sweet reunion.  I saw some young twenty somethings in the elevator planning where they were going to go to lunch.  Took me right back to my early years and just made me so nostalgic.  We had a lot of fun working then.  We worked hard, but we laughed ALOT and it was more like family than work.  The good old days.

Speaking of family.  (Don't you just love these transitions!) I got to stay with my mom and dad while there on business.  That is by far the best part of having to go to Bama for training.  While there, I helped them pick out some new countertops for their kitchen.  I can't wait to see how they look.  We had dinner together at night.  They took great care of me.  On the last day, I packed up my suitcase and took it with me to work.  The class was scheduled to end at 1:00 and I had to leave to for the airport about 3:00.  Well after the class I had about four or five co-workers in my office just visiting and catching up.  Holding court, just like the good old days.  My big boss walks in with her cell phone in her hand and says "Your mom is in the lobby of the other building and needs to see you."  Whoops!  It was so funny!  Forty-five years old and my mom still is tracking me down.  Apparently, I had forgotten a little makeup bag and they were delivering it to me before my plane left.  You don't get that kind of service at just any Bed and Breakfast people!

The boys held down the fort just fine in my absence.  Better than fine actually.  They had a good time.

My proposal is driving nicely towards its due date.   That is a relief.   Although there will be another one on its heels I am sure.

I don't have a good transition into this last story I want to tell, so I will just say "Hey, let me tell you about my spin class this morning!"  It was the fourth spin class in my life history of spin classes.   The previous three classes it has been just me or me and my friend Connie.  It is hard to slack up when the instructor is just staring at you and ONLY you.  Today, Connie wasn't able to come and I thought I was going to be flying solo again.  I was thinking "Shoot".  Then, in walks this little tiny number with her racing shoes with clips.  The instructor starts asking her if she has ever done Spin and she says "Oh yea, I race mountain bikes."  Then I said a word that is one letter shorter than "Shoot" and uses a different vowel.  Dang, got Ms. Mountain Bike sitting next to me and I can just see the instructors pulse quicken...she is going to have to give this girl a great workout.  Then she looks at me and there couldn't be a bigger disparity.  It was almost hysterical, except I wasn't laughing.  I was sweating.  I mean I started sweating so profusely during the active warm up that I was damn near like a scene out of the movie "Airplane".  I mean...I was sweating profusely.  It was an hour long workout that I won't soon forget.  At one point, I said "Is it bad if I am asking Jesus to take me right now?"  The instructor laughed and said "Ask Him to give you some strength to make this giant climb."  Holy Moly.  I survived.  Whew.

Well, this has been a novel.  I guess that is what happens when you don't post for so long.  I will do better.  I will.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Happy Mother's Day! LL

    ReplyDelete