Sunday, June 10, 2012

Healthy Recipes

These are two recipes I have made lately that I have thoroughly enjoyed.  I think I found them either through Pinterest or Tosca Reno's website.  My boys ate the chicken bites with very little complaint AND said that I could make them again.  That is no small feat!  I am borderline obsessed with the dressing from the salad.  It is tangy, but tasty!

               Crispy Chicken Bites

Ingredients
1 ½ lbs, skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup oat bran  
¼ cup wheat germ 

¼ cup coarsely ground almonds 

1 Tbsp coarsely ground flaxseed 

½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp white pepper
Pinch garlic powder 

½ cup water or low-sodium chicken broth 

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or coating lightly with extra virgin olive oil.  Cut chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces, about 1½ inches square. Set aside.
Next, combine all dry ingredients in a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Shake well. This is your coating mixture.  Combine water and egg in a medium bowl. Dip each piece in the water-egg white mixture. Then dip each piece in the coating mixture. Make sure each piece is well coated.
Place on the baking sheet. When all of your chicken has been coated and your baking sheet is full, place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
Tangy Pumpkin Seed Salad

Ingredients for Dressing:
2 cloves garlic, minced

½ tsp sea salt

2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

½ cup extra virgin olive oil 

Freshly ground black pepper to taste


10 cups of the lettuce of your choice

1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

Rinse lettuce of your choice under cold water and set aside in a bowl.  In a small bowl, add minced garlic and salt.  Whisk lemon and Worcestershire sauce into the garlic.  Continue to whisk the dressing while slowly pouring the olive oil in a steady stream. Whisk until smooth.  Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Add pumpkin seeds to the lettuce then pour the dressing over top. Toss the lettuce to coat with dressing and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy. I love pumpkin seeds and they are high in iron. I ate tons when I was anemic and they did the trick. I recently tried Pine nuts and love them. Hope you can eat them. They are quite expensive but tasty. I'll keep an eye out for WOnKa chocolate.

    ReplyDelete