Sunday, August 12, 2012

Protein Packed Waffles

I have a new recipe for you to try!  I am trying to find a breakfast item I can send to school with Harry for him to eat between cross country practice and the school day starting.  I want it to have a nice protein punch to help his muscles recover and repair.  We tried just a regular protein shake last week, but he hated it. So, today I tried a new recipe I found on the Internet for waffles made with protein powder.  Here is the recipe:

Protein Packed Waffles

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1 and 1/2 cups egg whites (8 egg whites)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
4 packets Stevia sweetener
1 tsp Baking Powder

Mix all ingredients in a blender or Bullet.  Let batter sit and thicken for about 5 minutes.  Heat waffle iron.  Spray waffle iron with PAM.  Do it between each waffle because they tend to stick without any added fat!  Cook until golden brown (about 5 minutes).  Inhale the yummy aroma filling your kitchen.  Smile.  Eat.  Enjoy.  Feel good.  Inside and out! 

Each batch made about six waffles.

Breaking down the numbers for an individual waffle.

Calories 163;  Protein  21;  Fat 2;  Carbs 13

The boys ate them.  Harry is on the fence because he likes to be difficult, but he said they were edible.  I will take that as high praise from Mr. Picky Pants.  Hubby and Chip were all over them!  They ate them dry - no butter, no syrup!  I tasted a piece and thought they were terrific!  I think I could do with about half the sweetener because they were very sweet to me, but I hate to change something the boys devoured.  If I don't add the sweetener they will probably cover them with syrup...so I will leave it as is!  I actually made a second batch to put in the freezer for weekday mornings!  Should be yummy after running them through the toaster for a few minutes! 

Try them!  I don't think you will be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment