Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Good News and Bad News


Good News:
I hit the seventy (70) pound mark yesterday.  Down S - E - V - E - N - T - Y pounds.  Isn't that remarkable?  I think so! 

Bad News:
I have a mystery rash popping up in random and various parts of my body and it is driving me crazy!   I go to the Dermatologist tomorrow.  Hoping it isn't some weird parasite or scabies or rabies or something else awful.  It is random.  It is itchy.  It has to go. 

Good News:
Harry tried out for the High School Christmas Comedy - Tuna Christmas.  He is thrilled to have been selected to play Arles, the Red Neck Radio Broadcaster.  Never has a part been more perfect for a kid. Rehearsals have already started and I can't wait to see the show in December.   I think there will be six shows in all and I will probably see them all! 

Bad News:  
Chip got some of that lovely Nickelodeon Neon Green Slimy Gak stuck to the ceiling.  Way high up on the wall.  He was bouncing it off the wall when it apparently got warm and stuck.  He screamed for me and together we watched it slowly slide down the wall leaving a huge slime of neon green gu.  What a mess.  Clean up required the big ladder.  I asked Hubby to help. According to Google, you should just gently scrub it with a warm cloth and it will come off. Hubby was down to the sheet rock and that stuff wasn't budging.  He is a brute.  He painted over it.  It is good as new.  We fix way too much around here with similar techniques.  



Good News:
Today, Chip won his class Spelling Bee.  He will be representing Ms. Harden’s class in the school spelling bee in December.  Holla, Chip!  

Bad News:  
They have changed the recipe for my most favorite Zone Bar in the world - Chocolate Peanut Butter.  Now I don't have a most favorite.  Boo!! 

Good News:
Chip got a new baseball bat.  It is black and yellow and I call it Bumblebee.  He thinks it is awesome.  He hit the ball to the fence the first time he used it at batting practice.  I think he is going to be a slugger!  First games of the season coming up this weekend. 

Bad News:
Harry lost his running shoes. Don’t ask.  They are gone. 

Good News: 
Cross Country season is in full swing. He did a 5K in 21 minutes and some change.  He has really improved quite a bit.  Very proud of him. 



Good News: 
I am running again!  And let's just talk about what a massive improvement it is this time over my previous attempts at running.  I started with a little 3 minute run/2 minute walk last week and three days later I was running 2 miles with no stopping and no problems.  I mean I am even talking the whole time.  After our first 2 mile day I was just so happy!  I was bubbling over to Martha…even though she was clearly running right alongside me and knew exactly what we had just done.  I just needed to celebrate!  It wasn’t even hard.  I didn’t even want to stop.  Can you believe that?  I was even talking...the whole time.  And she says in the way that only Martha can…’and you weren’t even complaining.’  That just cracked me up!  Cause THAT is saying something.  Apparently I am a bit of a complainer about the running.  I credit the ease with which I have been able to run to the weight loss.  Don’t have to be a genius to figure out that it is so much easier to run without seventy pounds on you!  “Mr. Knowledge told me to take it easy for the first few weeks so I didn’t injure myself, but after that I am free to run about!  So excited that I am already agreeing to do a Turkey Trot with Hubby and Harry on Thanksgiving morning!   I think Mal, Meg and Brett are going to join us!  Need to get my brother and sister conned into this too!  Family affair!

Bad News:
My brother-in-law, Kevin, is going under the knife tomorrow to have his knee replaced.  In the end, this will be an article for the Good News column, but I imagine tonight he is a bit worried about the surgery and the recovery.  Say a prayer for him, please.  Perfect precision by the surgeon, easy recover and a no pain for him OR great pain meds so he doesn’t give a rip!  Either one works great!  Please also say a prayer for my sister, The Nice One. 

Good News:
It is fun to play boats in the rain with your kids.   A warm summer weekend, tons of non-stop rain and a couple of plastic lids to race down the gutter.  That my friends is what memories are made of.  Good times, indeed. 



Bad News:
I am slipping a little. I am normally totally organized and on top of my 'to do' list.  I don’t forget things very often.  Last Friday, I co-hosted the Cross Country Spaghetti Dinner with my great friends Cindy and Martha.  Thank goodness they are great friends or they would have kicked me to the curb.  First, I was in charge of printing the flyers and sending them to school during the week.  I forgot.  Thank goodness Cindy remembered and got them up to school in time.  I was supposed to bring ice.  I forgot.  I took a huge pan of French bread to Cindy’s house and she had her oven on warm to keep thing nice and hot for the kids.  I stuck that pan in the over with the plastic lid on the bottom.   It melted like a Shrinky Dink and her oven was smart enough to detect something and it turned it self off.  I could have burned the place down!  I was a hot mess.  Cindy’s sweet mom was there and she said “Can I help with anything?”  I said “Keep an eye on me Ophelia!  I am losing it and may be dangerous!”  They had such great humor about it all even though I was mortified.  I am so blessed to have such forgiving and understanding friends.  So very blessed.  We fed about 60 or so runners and it went off without a hitch.  No thanks to me. 

Good News:
I did a shoulder workout today at the gym today that six months ago I would not have had a clue how to do!!  Feeling energized and inspired I  told "Mr. Knowledge" that I was thinking about doing some crunches every day at home.  Inspired right?

Bad News:
He said "Great idea.  Try to do a thousand."  WHAT??  Has he lost his mind. I thought that I might try to do the regular 330 he has me do at the gym.  Can I do a thousand?  Only one way to find out!  Hit the floor!  Either my stomach will get tighter or it will cramp into a charlie horse and I will be rolling across the carpet like Astro trying to shake that Gentle Leader leash!  I will keep you posted! 

Let's end on a run of some Good News:
Dermatologist tomorrow - No More Rash.  Getting my hair cut and colored on Thursday YEA!  I am working so hard and so many hours, but I am loving my job right now.  I am looking forward to running in the morning! (CRAZY)   My friend Sara, who has been sick for almost a year, came to Bible Study on Monday and drove herself! Go Sara!!  I recently read The Kitchen House for Book Club.  It was excellent!  The weather is cooler, it is college football season and I love coffee!  

That is all!  Have a terrific day!  

1 comment:

  1. Alexander said that your weight loss was like him jumping off your back. He weighs 69 pounds. so you have been carrying around a 10 year old child for these past few years! you should feel light as a feather!Way to go girl!! We are proud of you!! LL

    ReplyDelete