Saturday, October 20, 2012

10-19 Grateful

Friday morning I had to run Harry up to school and drop him off for an early Cross Country Meet.  The bus was leaving at 7:15 so he needed to be at school by 7:00. It is still dark at 7:00.  Friday morning was just gorgeous.  The perfect kind of chilly fall weather that last for about five minutes around these parts. 

We pulled up to the field house at the high school and of course there was lots of action in and out of the building in those wee hours of the morning.  Kids carrying pillows under their arms,  hair disheveled, looking like they were sleep walking through the parking lot.  All heading in to the locker room to change or grab their gear and get on the bus. I watched Harry among them.  So glad he belongs with this group of kids.  So happy he has a place and is part of something. 

Then I pulled out of the parking lot to head home and saw that the football field was lit up.  I glanced over and there in a precise marching formation was the high school band.  Ramrod straight backs, instruments held in front of them all exactly the same way, exact amount of space between each of them.  And there are ALOT of them. This is a massive band and they are good.  I mean REALLY good.  They are sweeping every competition they enter around here. This is why, I guess.  Practice, practice, practice.  They start in the summer, marching for six or seven hours a day.  Then, once the school year starts they come early and stay late. It is alot of work.  The drum line was out in the front parking lot a little closer to me, holding a separate practice I guess.  There is not a sound that is much cooler than hearing a drum line practice. Then the band cranked up a song and I rolled my window down so I could hear them better.  I can still get chill bumps thinking about it.  A chilly Friday morning, a high school band playing for all they are worth, it really was an awesome way to start the morning.

Then still smiling to myself thrilled that I was blessed with a quick early morning concert, I pulled on past the football field toward the school pool. It is heated after the blazing hot weather of summer passes and steam was rising off the water like it was on fire. There was just enough light streaming through it that it looked like something from a movie set. Through the steam, I could see the kids that make up the high school swim team.  Diving in, getting out and with my window still down I could clearly hear them laughing and talking.

I had such a moment where I was just so proud of those kids.  All of them.  I think they will all look back fondly on these years of high school, being part of something.  Working hard but having fun. I know many of them and their parents and they are just good kids.  I can't wait to see what awesome things are in their future.

As for me and the purposed of this post....I am just so grateful to live in a community that supports these kids...my kids.  Giving them the facilities, leadership, teachers, coaches and opportunity to have these experiences.  Truly blessed.  Grateful.  Seriously.

GO ROCK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment