Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bob and Lana Visit

Last week was a big week...first day of school and Mer and Grandpa rolled into town for a visit!  Great way to take the sting out of the first week of school blues!  Look at what they brought with them.


He is a little can man!  Made with ASU colors.  They also brought me an Alabama one.  Super cute and we found the perfect spot for him by the front door. 

As usual, we did lots of projects around the house while they were here.  Most of them were little jobs, but some of them were pretty big.  In the kind of easy category was taking down all the curtains and shaking the dust off and/or running them through the dryer.  It is something I should do much more often cause it made a very noticeable difference.  Bob also touched up some scratches on the dining room table/ping pong table.

In the "kind of hard" category were a few other projects.


Bob spent a significant amount of time repainting Harry's bed.  I slapped some paint on it last year (with no prep at all...cause that is how I roll!) and it was peeling off and chipping like crazy.  Bob got the old paint off, lightly sanded the surface, put a couple coats of Kilz on it and then a couple coats of paint.  That paint finish was excellent and I do not expect any chips at all!  Wonder if I will remember this lesson in how important the prep work is?  



Bob also put a fresh coat of stain on the front door.  Shiny and new!  He also fixed the shower door in our bathroom and painted and installed a shelf in Chip's room.

The hardest project was the new curtains that I wanted for the living room.  As per usual, I had kind of an idea in my head of what I wanted, but didn't know where I was going to find fabric to pull it off.  We went all over this city in all kinds of fabric shops and nothing was really working for me.  We even trained Bob up  on the fabric hunt.  By Thursday afternoon he was saying things like "this fabric has a geometric design and I think gray is the new neutral".  Who is this guy?  We finally found some fabric on Friday afternoon that I thought would work.   Hurray!


Saturday morning, Lana got behind her sewing machine and made the magic happen.  Lana thought it would be a good time to show me how to sew.  I froze and just told her she can't ever die.  She said okay. 


Bob got out his pencil and circled all the college football games he was going to watch!  Woo Hoo!  College football season is back!  Bob made it perfectly clear that he would be doing no home improvement projects after 2:30 in the afternoon!  

Here is kind of a history of the living room:


This is right after we moved in July of 2003.  Look at my little Chip in this picture!  He's a baby!  I am loving this rug in the picture.  Hmmm, may need to rethink a carpet in here again. 


Almost immediately, I put some gold paint up on the walls.


Here are the first curtains that mom made.  I can't believe they had been up since 2003!  I thought it had been six or seven years.  I did love them for a long time, but was just over the red in here. 


Here are the new drapes.  This picture does not do them justice.  They are a neutral colored pattern at the top and this great waffle fabric on the bottom, separated by a brown ribbon.  I love the curtains, but now I don't love the gold walls.  Looks like it is screaming for some Khaki Shadow paint.  Guess I will break that out this weekend and cover up that gold!  


Here is a closer look at the drapes!  All four were only $114.  That is much cheaper than some of the ready made curtains I brought home and tried. Those were almost $300.  Glad they didn't work!  Lana is so talented behind the sewing machine!  She has made every curtain in this house!  

Anyway, we had a wonderful few days together and they left my house in better shape than they found it.  Always a pleasure to have them come for a visit.  I think they always leave tired.  

One final piece of business.  While they were here, Bob asked me to help him set up a blog of his own. Even though every fiber of my being knew this could be dangerous, I did it anyway!  Ha!  So, if you are interested head over to Bob's blog and check it out. He hasn't had the chance to post more than a quick introduction, but I expect that to change pretty quickly now that he is back home.  The web address is www.bobsfamilytales.blogspot.com.  It is sure to be entertaining!  If he posts anything about me being his help desk support or advisor, please disregard! 

I have fielded approximately 12 phone calls and 374 questions from him since Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.  I now answer my phone "Thank you for calling Blogger.com Technical Support.  How can I help you?"

I think he has got it now, so get ready to be inundated with some "mostly true" Bob stories.  Anything he writes is probably embellished quite a bit (good or bad) so keep that in mind!


Have a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Love, love the curtains. She did a beautiful job on them. I think the gold walls make the curtains POP! Love your hardwoods, very clean looking. You are a good decorator.

    ReplyDelete