Monday, February 16, 2015

Catch Up Monday

I have the day off today!  So does Chip!  That makes Monday a little more bearable.  Except I had a dentist appointment for a cleaning.  Thank goodness, I have the sweetest dental hygienist in the world.  She is from Tennessee.  She gets me.  She understands my fear of the dentist and talks the whole time just entertaining me with her great stories.  I think I do way more laughing than most people at the dentist. I love her.

And now, I am sitting at Main Event with Chip and four of his buddies watching them bowl.  Laser Tag is in our future.  So are so donuts from Krispy Kreme.

I thought I would use this bowling supervision time to fill you guys in on what's going on around these parts and also let you help me worry about Harry.  He got sick last week.  Something weird.  It started last Thursday with chills, fever, vomiting, exhaustion.  He went to the clinic.  Negative flu.  Negative streph.  Negative mono.  Checked him for appendicitis.  Negative.  They prescribed an anti-nausea medication with instruction for fluids and rest.  He slept most of the day. He felt a little better Friday but slept a lot.  Ate a little.  Had some sharp stomach pains on Friday that were kind of weird.  Saturday he sent me a message that said "Tired, sore throat, stuffy nose, but otherwise 100%."  I  was like...are you in a math class, because three things still wrong does not make for 100%."  He laughed and said "I said otherwise!"

I had his college buddies on speed dial and worried the mess out of them to check on my boy.  I told them I would remember them on Nurses's Day, whenever we celebrate that!  They were awesome.  He has much to be grateful for in the friend department.

Sunday, he felt well enough to go to the girls softball game to cover the game.  Driving home from the game, which was a a doozy of a game with a walk off Grand Slam by ASU, he called to tell me had a rash all over his hands.  No itchy.  Just red dots.  WTH?  This morning the rash was on his forearms.  This afternoon he showered again and says it is all over his body but fades after he gets out of the shower for a while.  Otherwise, he feels pretty good.

I am puzzled.  What in the world is it? Hubby knows a girl at work from the Phoenix area and she said it might be Valley Fever.  Flu symptoms with a rash.  He is going to back to the clinic tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.  Say a prayer for him.  It is super sucky and I am ready for it to leave my boy alone!

In other news....

Harry got an additional reporting gig on Cronkite Sports Live last week.  He is going to be the weekend forecast guy.  He does a little segment on all the ASU games coming up during the week that people should look forward to.  It is taped on Fridays.  He was super jazzed but had to miss the first one because he was sick.  Hope he can get back to it this week!

The middle school basketball season is over for Chip.  The Cougars wrapped up a kinda disappointing season.  B Team won three.  A Team came away with a goose egg.  Ouch.  The kids hung in there and kept trying.  After the last game was over, Chip came up to me in the stands and said "Mom, I thanked the coaches for a great season.  Do you want to go over and thank them too?"  Sweet kid.  I did just as he suggested.  Being a middle school coach is not very glamorous - but boy do they make a strong impression on some young men.  I am so glad to say that it has been a very positive experience for Chip.   We celebrated the end of the season with some of his teammates at Freddy's.  They had fun!  On to Track and Field!

Hubby was out of town in Las Vegas for three or four nights last week.  He came home with sore feet from standing all day - but broke even on the gambling so we will call that a win!!

Sadly, Chip also had a bout of not feeling well this weekend.  He had a migraine headache on Saturday.


Chip's migraines generally require sleep, a little barfing and then more sleep.  He recovered pretty well, but Valentine's Day was a bit of a downer.


I did get some beautiful flowers from my fellas.  I never think I want them on this overpriced holiday - but I always adore them when I get them.  Flowers are just nice!  I cooked up one of my boys favorite meals and we had a sweet dinner.

Sunday, I spent a good part of the day prepping for a Whole30 challenge!  Eating whole food - no grains, no dairy, no alcohol, no sugar for thirty days.  Nothing processed.  Nothing that isn't a wholesome good food of either meat, veggies and fruit, along with some healthy fats.  Here are some of the meals made yesterday and today.


Salmon (wild caught) with sauteed Kale (organic, sauteed with coconut oil and sea salt), roasted carrots (organic) and avocado (organic).


Two eggs (organic, cage free), sauteed kale (organic sauteed with coconut oil and sea salt), roasted sweet and red potatoes with onions. 

It is not that huge of a stretch from my regular eating but not having any bread, not even having Ezekiel bread is hard.  Turns out I have missed real potatoes, of all varieties, so much that they have substituted just fine for cardboard bread!  Roasted potatoes with an over medium egg!  YUMMY!  I ate so well yesterday on my prep day that I counted it as Day 1 of the Whole30 challenge so I am already damn near through Day 2!  Twenty eight more to go!  Cannot wait to get off the sugar, again!  I think Day 5 will probably suck pretty bad.  Once I hit Day 10 it should be smooth sailing!   If you are remotely interested in Whole30, here is the book that tells you all about it.


In other new health improvements, I have done a Spin Class at the gym a couple of times.  So hard, so sweaty but also awesome!  I really do enjoy it.

Well, that wraps up our time at Main Event!  I hope you have a great start to your week and there's lots of sunshine and beautiful blue skies ahead!  Tune back in to hear how Day 5 of the Whole30 Challenge went down around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment