Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Chicken Doritos Casserole

Tonight, I was stumped for what to make for dinner so I perused the pantry, did a quick spin through Pinterest and landed on a casserole made with chicken, Doritos and a special sauce.  My people don't like casseroles.  I knew before I started cooking that this would not be a welcome addition to the dinner rotation.  I charged on anyway, because sometimes I get sick of cooking the same dang things.  These boys like about five or six things and don't like to mess around with any variations or changes to the norm.  I braced myself as I started pulling stuff together and the boys wandered into the kitchen to see what was cooking.

Here it comes....

The looks I got when I described their upcoming dinner was making me laugh and it was just the beginning.  They were staring into the bowl of special sauce.  Lips were going up.  Eyebrows were raised.  To say the boys were NOT looking forward to trying this concoction would be the understatement of the year.

Harry actually texted his Dad and said "You might want to stop at McDonalds on your way home.  Mom's got some mess going into the oven."

I just kept being positive, telling them things like "I think this one might surprise you."  It is an old southern recipe (pretty sure that is a lie!) that is super popular around the world (big, fat culinary lie!)

I pulled it out of the oven and the skeptics gathered around and the comments started flying.  Chip's first comment was "This looks exactly like it is going to look when it comes back up."  Hubby said "Why did you use Doritos?  Wouldn't Tostitos have been better?"  The best of the night was Harry's description when he said "This looks like a bird flew into a Chuckie Cheese, ransacked the place and then barfed this mess into it's baby's mouth."

On that note, everyone dig in and enjoy their yummy dinner!

Who wouldn't want to cook for these chumps???

And, guess what?

{Big Dramatic Pause}

They liked it.

Turd blossoms.

Harry: "It's not bad.  Tastes kind of like tacos.  I can eat this."

Chip:  "Wait a minute.  Mom, this tastes pretty good."

Hubby:  "I like it. It seems like a good meal for cold weather.  I would eat this again."

So, in the end they did not hate it, they ate it and I may very well make that "old southern staple recipe that is popular all over the world" some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment