Monday, August 29, 2016

50

I turned fifty this summer.  The Big 5-0!   50!   F-I-F-T-Y!!  Five Zero! 
That is shocking to me.  I was just seven, waiting on the curb for my mom to bring home my baby brother for heaven's sake!  How the hell am I fifty?  

Obviously, the days, months, years and decades have flown by as they tend to do when you are going about the business of living.  I am so grateful for my life and the people in it, but fifty just seems like a serious threshold into REAL adulthood.  I can vividly remember how terrified I was when I figured out my mom was 33 years old….I thought she had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.  I thought she was so OLD!  Funny, how time gives you such a different perspective!  I am happy to report that Lana is still kicking and luckily I blew past 33 many, many moons ago with no grave and no banana peels underfoot!  Whew! 

So how did I celebrate this major milestone? 
     

On my birthday, the boys took me out to PF Chang's for a lovely birthday dinner.  We had all the courses…including the Great Wall of Chocolate!  Celebrating fifty years deserves some chocolate! 

I did not want a party or get together, much to the demise of some of my pals.  I really wanted some me time.  Some time to reflect, rest, relax, count my blessings and refresh myself for the next fifty years.  And boy, did Hubby deliver!  I got three nights at the amazing Lake Austin Spa and Resort.  All by myself. Complete with haircut, massage and facial.  It was an amazing weekend and could not have been more perfect for me. 


Heading to the resort!  Took a selfie all crooked so you maybe get dizzy before you notice the lines at the corners of my eyes or the age spots all over the damn place!  Look quickly at my big smile and move on.  Quickly.  

It was about a 35 minute drive from my house and I checked in around 1:30 in the afternoon. 



The front porch of Room 4!  My home away from home for a few days. 


The view from my porch. 


Cute little willow branch window with a view to my neighbors porch. 


King size bed with gobs and gobs of pillows! 


Coffee Maker!  Oh yeah! 


Waiting in my room was a gift from Callie and the girls.  They know me well!  


The bathroom was stunning. 


Deep soaker tub!  HEAVEN! 


My private secluded back patio - complete with gentle fountain and comfy chairs. 


The first afternoon, I grabbed a big ice cold hibiscus tea and parked myself on this little pier to read for a while. 


It was glorious.  


One of three books that I read in my three days away.  This one is awesome!  Loved it so much.  Sat on that little dock and laughed out loud! 


When the sun got a little warm, I sashayed (I don't know what that is, but I walked really, really slow savoring the peace….maybe that is ambling?) up to the super comfortable chairs by the pool.  


Had the place to myself for a while.  Took a dip.  Did a little floating.  


Got back to my room and had another surprise from the girls.  A huge fruit basket!  Pulled out a perfect plum and enjoyed it right away! 

Next, I went to a cooking class where the resort chef demonstrated how to make paella!  It was packed with seafood and we all got to sample his delicious work. 


Later, I headed up to the spa for my hair appointment.  The scenery was beautiful.  
Very quiet and restful.  Lots of folks walking around in their robes. 


Passed this hammock on the way and made a note to climb into that bad boy at some point! 


After my haircut, it was time to wander over to the dining room where I enjoyed the first of many exquisite meals.  Every plate was gorgeous, delightful and delicious.  And, I think supremely healthy.  You could choose anything from the menu that struck your fancy.  I found out on my last day, if you are struggling with which dessert to pick they will bring you all three!  


Dessert this evening was a rhubarb crumble or something like that.  Hot and delicious!  Oh, and there is gourmet coffee 24/7!   Solid! 


After dinner, there was some daylight left so I strolled over to the hammock and read more of my book.  I was a reading machine!    Swinging in a hammock by the river.  Bliss.  Slept like a rock. 


The next morning, I was up and at 'em early for my kayaking excursion. 


But first some breakfast and coffee!  Breakfast in the dining room overlooking the water.  I kayaked with a group of about 10 folks - mostly ladies.  We were out for about an hour and 15 minutes.  Gorgeous scenery and great arm workout.  AND, the fifty year old did not fall out of her boat!  Hooray!  


Spent a little time on the back patio reading. 


Back to the pool.  


Lunch was fish tacos.  And a little bit of some yummy yogurt! 

Then I went to a god awful workout class that damn near killed me.  The instructor guy was from Australia and reeled you in with his cute accent and winning personality.  Then he turned into some damn boot camp drill sergeant that I wanted to throat punch.  I thought it was going to be a bosu ball stretching class or something - but it was circuit training with burpees, pushups, jump squats, pushing this damn towel across the floor in a bear crawl.  If you stopped or fell off something everyone in the class had to do 10 burpees.  I could hardly do one burpee!  Thankfully, everyone was in pretty good shape and we only got the penalty burpees once…and no, it wasn't my fault.  Although, the sweetheart instructor must have looked the other way many, many times when I stopped to wipe the sweat from my face, curse him and contemplate how embarrassing it would be to bolt from the class all together!  Let's not forget I kayaked for an hour and change this morning.  Arms already worked out!  

I survived.   BARELY.  

I immediately went for a swim right after in hopes that I could loosen up the lactic acid that was certain to be accumulating in my muscles!  

Then I took a nap.  

A nap. 

In the afternoon.  

What is it, my birthday?  

Oh yea! It is!  


Dinner was this glorious piece of fish on some kind of cauliflower brilliance.  It had lobster weaved in there somewhere!  AMAZING! 


After dinner, I meandered up to the spa for my massage.  I was scheduled for a two hour Tour of Texas scrub and massage.   After that class, I needed it. 


This is the waiting room where you wait for your treatment.  Beautiful. 

My massage was remarkable.  Fabulous.  All the wonderful words.  


It was late when I was done.  I was practically drunk on relaxation.  


The moon was gorgeous and I was profoundly grateful for the beautiful day I had experienced! 

The next day, I could barely walk.  So, so sore from that dang class!  I woke up and first words out of my mouth were "Big mistake.  Huge mistake.  Huge."

I got loosened up a bit after coffee and breakfast and jumped back into my bathing suit for a swim before my morning facial. 


Look at this gorgeous lane pool in this barn.  Stunning. 


My facial was awesome and this did wonders with this old gal.  


Nice break with more hibiscus tea.  I was a fluid drinking fool all weekend.  Totally hydrated for the first time in maybe ever! 


Next up, was a boat ride down the river.  


I took a few pictures of the garden and grounds while waiting for the captain. 



Beautiful day for a boat ride.  It was a nice cruise and got to see some magnificent homes.


Got back from the boat ride in time for another cooking class.  


We made macaroons!  Picture does not do justice to how wonderful this cookie was.  Lemon with raspberry filling.  So light.  So exquisite.  


Afternoon was spent reading on the porch, enjoying the view.  


Dinner was this beautiful plate of beef.  I can't even.  YUMMY!   This was the last night when I could not decide between the three dessert options and the little waitress brought me all three!  I tried them all and  they were all delicious!  Glad I didn't have to pick just one. 


Then my final and most favorite class of the weekend.  Water coloring! 


We painted cards.  The teacher was great!  Totally laid back and we got to use these cool watercolor pens that were filled with water.  It was just the best.  

I loved every moment (well, except those few moments in exercise hell!) of my birthday weekend.  
It could not have been more perfect!  

Maybe I can come back for my 60th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment