Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Summer 2016

Going through the pictures on my phone recently and loving the memories it triggered from Summer of 2016.  Thought I would share some of them here on the ol' blog. 

At the beginning of June, Lydia graduated from high school and we made the trip up to Dallas to celebrate!  Great day! Super proud of that girl! 

The rest of June was baseball, baseball, baseball and a little more baseball.  Chip made the high school summer baseball team and they played about four games a week.  His best buddy MJT also made the team!  They were super jazzed to be Dragon Baseball Players! This picture is right before the first game, when they were just regular baseball players.   

Then they got their Dragon gear!  Now it is official!  Dragon Summer baseball.  This means nothing in terms of making the official high school baseball team during the school year but it sure made for a fun start to summer. 

Playing on the high school field for the first time. 

How cute is this guy?  

He is pretty darn cute, if you ask me. 

Team Meeting.

Happy boys. 

Chip played a little third, lots of first and even pitched a little.  He walked approximately 197 times.  
Kid could not get a decent pitch to hit to save his life, but his on base percentage was excellent! 

Here he is making the throw from the hot corner.

Meeting on the mound.  Chip recounted some of these conversations with the coaches and they were not too far off from the Bull Durham movie!  Super funny! 

Loved cheering for these kids!  They played about 15 games or so in five weeks and held their own.  The coaches were awesome.  They had fun.  Got to know kids from the other middle schools.  
Great experience.   

Chisholm cheering squad!  They showed up for almost all the games.  

MJT and Chip with Coach Blake.  I have known Blake since he was knee high to a grass-hopper (which translates to when he was about seven years old…now he is a college kid, coaching high school freshman!  The boys really enjoyed playing for him!)

So that was summer baseball.  Big chunk of June! 

Harry worked this summer parking cars at the minor league baseball stadium, same as last year.  He was home a lot and it was so great to have him around for the summer! 

We also squeezed in a weekend trip to Houston for an autograph show and an Astros game. 

Big vacation was flying out to San Diego for the MLB All-Star game in July.  

FanFest was awesome! 

In San Diego, we stayed at this little hotel that had the smallest, slowest, smelliest, oldest elevator in the world.  It had one of those cages you had to open and close to get in.   Ugh!  We were on the seventh floor - and opted to take the stairs many times over the four nights we were there.  

Visited La Jolla, which is just a hop, skip and a tiny jump from San Diego.  The coastline is stunning.  
Sunsets aren't bad either. 

We participated in the MLB All-Star color run!  Nice headbands, right? 

Lots of good food eaten and man, did we enjoy the gorgeous weather.  
Look….a sweater in July!  YAY! 

Huge breakfast food at Brian's 24 Diner. It was attached to our hotel and we ate there a lot!  That is a fried egg on top of that mammoth stack of pancakes.  HOLY MOLY! 

La Jolla again for searching in the tide pools.  Such cool creatures to be seen. 

The water was crisp…but bearable! 

Boys in the nosebleed section for the home run derby. 

All-Star game! 

It was blazing hot until the sun went down and then we put on jackets! 

After the All-Star activities we cruised over the bridge for two nights at the beautiful Hotel del Coronado.  It was right on the beach and gorgeous! 

And, this picture should be a surprise to no one.  Someone in our family got sick on vacation?  
Well, of course they did.  Happens every time. 

On our first night on Coronado Island, Harry had a raging fever, shivering, aching, sore throat, headache, miserable.  I thought he might have the flu, so we found a Walgreens and kept him medicated every four hours like clockwork.  He rebounded the next day and felt decent as long as we kept up the medication.  Earlier in the week, Harry had also made a trip to the ER in San Diego, because he had a wicked bad pain in his side that would not quit.  He could not get comfortable and based on where the pain was located, we wanted to make sure it wasn't his appendix.  Turned out to be a pulled muscle.  Needless to say, his last couple days on this vacation were sub par.  

This is Harry the next morning feeling decent, but not great.  It was our last day of vacation and he was being a trooper. Chip was feeling great and let's document this as his first day of Pokemon hunting!  That kid was all over the beach catching all kinds of critters. 

Gold glitter covered the beaches on Coronado Island.  Super cool. 

On our last night, I made reservations for a S'mores Fire Pit on the beach.  Doesn't that sound like a fun family activity to wrap up our great week?  Well, it was a shit show.  An absolute, roll on the floor, laughing till you pee your pants disaster!  You can't see it in this picture, but there were about 15 fire pits lit up for families of all sizes and our pit happened to be downwind.  Within minutes of sitting down, we were well under way with the s'more making when the smoke from the other pits starting waifing over our way.  Chips eyes started burning, he fell into his chair and it broke, I fell out of my chair trying to get up, the water bottles were hotter than the fire…every other family out there is laughing and enjoying the evening and it was like we were in a war zone re-enactment scene.  Chip was pouring water on his eyes, staggering into the fire because he was blind.  Hubby and Harry were cracking jokes and we were ruining everyone else's experience I am sure.  We can still just crack up thinking about that night. So, damn funny.     

Flying home.  Wedged between my boys.  Good times. 

Got back from vacation and immediately jumped right into high school football practice!   Chip also had explosion camp this summer, which is a six week strength and conditioning camp. For two hours a day they lifted weights and did running drills.  He hated it.  ALOT.  Every morning, he would play this great game of naming all the things he would rather be doing than going to explosion camp.  For instance, I would rather have my eardrum pierced by a giant nail and then hammer it into my brain with a sledgehammer and then have a two ton garbage truck run over my legs eighteen times than go to explosion camp.   He had some pretty interesting torture images…might be on a Stephen King level!  
It was painful, but he did it! 

During the summer, we also figured out that this old boy has a massive tumor growing on his liver.  He was dropping weight, having diarrhea, throwing up….but still super happy.  The vet did some tests to include an ultrasound and gave us the bad news.  So, Astro is home on Hospice Care, which includes some  anti-nausea meds and steroids which have stopped the diarrhea and throwing up and given him quite an appetite.  He is holding his own these days, but definitely moving slower, sleeping more…but still super happy.  As long as he is happy, not in pain and seems comfortable we will keep on loving him.  It will be a sad, sad day when we have to say good-bye to THE BEST DOG EVER.  

That was a much longer recap of our summer than I was expecting to write, but gets me all caught up.   And gives Bob and Lana something to read for a couple of days!  

Now, I need to get to work on my 60 Things To Do Before I am 60 List!  

Have an awesome day!    

No comments:

Post a Comment