Monday, September 26, 2016

Farewell Astro

We said goodbye to our boy Astro on Friday.  It was a hard day.  He was diagnosed with a tumor on his liver several months ago and was home with us on hospice care.  The steroid and anti-inflammatory meds worked really well and he was eating well and seemed happy and pain free.  He has had a couple of "incidents" in the last few months were he has fallen or couldn't get up, but he always recovered and seemed no worse for the wear. 

On Friday it was different.  He was wobbly, staggering, disoriented and distant.  It was hard to see him like that.  He wouldn't come to me.  He wouldn't get up.  He seemed exhausted.  

I did the only thing I knew to do and I just laid next to him on the patio and told him what a good boy he was.  Told him it was okay.  Kept my hand on his sweet head, studying his face.  I am not sure he knew I was there.  I took this picture of him because I knew it would be the last and I wanted to freeze time.  He looks tired.  He was ready.  I was certain it was time. I am glad that I was certain. 


We got him to the vet and within thirty minutes or so it was time.  The medicine went in and within mere seconds he was gone.  It was remarkably quick.  The vet had warned us it would be.  There was no struggle.  No panic.  Just peace. 

He was a great dog.  I know everyone says that about their own dog, but he REALLY was a great dog.  There will never be another like him.  So glad that we got to be his family.
He will be missed. 
Rest in peace, Astro.   

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about Astro. I know you guys will miss him.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete