Monday, November 7, 2016

False Advertising

Hey there, my four sweet blog reading peeps!  Hope all is well in your world.  This daylight savings time has me feeling like it is time for pajamas and wine and it is only 6:00 p.m.  That is going to make for a long evening!   So while I am trying to keep my eyes open, let me fill you in on what's been happening around here.

First, a little funny.  I was opening a brand new container of cornstarch for a recipe I made on Friday (what the recipe was escapes me at the moment!)  Anyway, I pulled the little cover off the container that says "Stay Fresh - No Mess!" and the damn thing exploded all over me!  I just started cracking up.  I mean, it actually says No Mess with an exclamation point!!!!  They meant it.  They were wrong.



Now that I am working part time, I have been able to do a little more volunteering and it has been wonderful.  I had three volunteer gigs last week and could not have been happier. 

On Tuesday, I started reading with my little first graders as part of the Literacy Partners program.  They are PRECIOUS!!!  I mean just the cutest little boys EVER!  (I keep typing in all caps because I really mean it).  I took a whole slew of books for us to read and had the best time sitting next to them sounding out some words and telling them what amazing readers they were.   So easy to put smiles on their faces!  Filled me right up!  And I get to go back tomorrow!  Hooray! 


On Wednesday, I had the privilege of volunteering at the Clothes Closet for our school district.  What a fantastic program.  All the schools in the district take their unclaimed Lost and Found clothes and jackets to the Clothes Closet - along with other donations from the community.  The volunteers sort through the donations and only keep the very best items.  Hanging and merchandising the items by boy/girl, size and type.  Families that need a little help can get a voucher each semester to get five tops, five bottoms, three outerwear (coats, sweaters, hoodies), five underwear and five socks per child.  So many nice things and lots of folks in there taking advantage of the service.  I will definitely go back.

Saturday morning, me and Chip helped out at the local Serving Center, which is primarily a food pantry.  They are also a huge resource in the community for underprivileged families.  Our group of boys and moms were tasked with general cleaning of the place and we dug in and made a difference!  We cleaned a very dirty stairwell, sweeping, mopping, dusting, cleaning walls.  Wiped down every surface we could find on the entire bottom floor.  It was sweaty, dirty work but much needed and sure felt good to walk out of there feeling like a shower was in order.

A great week of feeling helpful!

In other news…..

Freshman football is over.  Our last game was a rain out.  I was so bummed.  I loved watching my little Chip do his thing!  Maybe he will play again next year.


GO DRAGONS!! 

Bama rolled over LSU.  I was a bundle of nerves with that defensive showdown.  So happy they pulled it out.  

Harry played in his first intramural BASKETBALL game last week.  They won!!!   He scored!!!  He hit a three!!!  He is definitely having fun! 

Kid Lyd and her parents came for a visit this weekend.  We cooked, baked, had some laughs, watched some football.  Did a little shopping.   It was fun. 

That is all for now!   My eyes are getting droopy.  It is only 7:00!  

No comments:

Post a Comment