Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Cooper - Welcome to the Family!!

This guy!  Wow, has he turned this house upside down in the twelve hours he has been a resident!  

We met Cooper on Monday morning, he was fixed on Tuesday and we picked him up Tuesday night at 5:00!  They brought him out to us all snuggled up in a blanket.  Said he might be groggy after his surgery and to take it easy with him.  They loaded us down with paperwork, two medications to give him this week and a firm pat on the back!  

Good Luck, they said!  

Look at Chip!  Could he be any happier?  

As soon as we walked out of the rescue center the bottom fell out and it started raining buckets and buckets and sheets and more buckets and a couple of fire hoses and then emptied a damn Olympic size pool on our heads.  It was dark, getting cold and we were soaked through by the time we got to the car.  Cooper didn't know what the heck was going on!  

As I began to try and find my way home from deep, deep south Austin in the dark, during rush hour, in a construction zone and through a hurricane with my fifty year old eyesight, Cooper began protesting his injustice at being removed against his will.  He whined, cried, barked, clawed, bit and scratched Chip.  Basically threw a puppy temper tantrum for about 40 minutes.  Me and Chip were both like "Holy crap!  If this is him groggy from surgery, we are screwed!"  

Then just as hard as he had protested, he fell asleep in Chip's arms and we both thanked God and prayed he would sleep until we got home in the monsoon!  Asleep, he was absolutely darling. 

We got home, took him outside in the rain and he peed like a champ!  Way to go, Cooper!  We gave him a little bit to eat and he inhaled it like a hoover vacuum.  The we showed him all his toys and his bed and his crate and was the happiest puppy ever.  He ran from one thing to the next and bit and snapped at our hands and feet in between biting and snapping at his toys.  

This young fella has some manners to learn.  

He thinks his name is "No". 

But seriously, he is just a baby. 

We put him in his crate after about an hour of intense playtime (not sure how you tell a puppy to take it easy after surgery, but Cooper did not!) so we could grab some dinner in the kitchen without him underfoot.  

He cried and whined and howled and hollered for about three minutes and then fell immediately to sleep.  It took every bit of restraint Chip had not to run in and rescue him from his mean crate!  After dinner we woke him up for some more play time and lots more "No, Cooper...don't bite." It has continued to be a monsoon with thunderstorms rolling through so it has been a bit challenging to get him outside to potty.  He did his business (both of them!) outside a couple of times and we rewarded him with lots of praise and a minuscule fragment of bacon.  

He has had a couple of accidents in the house, but already loves going to the back door to be let out.  Once this terrible weather passes I think it will get easier!  Fingers crossed! 

He is a huge fan of his bed. 

At 9:15 we tucked him in his crate and said good night.  He protested for about a minute and a half and then fell fast asleep.  Not a peep out of him all night.  

I got up early 4:15 a.m. and let him out, fed him and played with him.  He was much, much calmer than yesterday and at 8:00 a.m. he has already had four naps!

Stayed tuned for more on Cooper's puppy experience! 

P.S.  We don't know what he is.  They had him listed as a Lab/Retriever Mix, but pretty sure he has some boxer in him and maybe some wild hyena by the black spots on his back and his wild antics in the car!  We are calling him a Heinz 57 Pound Puppy.  He is now sleeping like an angel and it is storming like crazy outside.  That seems promising! 

Here's to early mornings, coffee, puppy breath and lots and lots of "What a good boy, Cooper!" in our  immediate future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment